Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I just got my first project car not too long ago and I believe I'm missing my transmission kickdown rod. The car turns on fine and drives but I noticed on a YouTube video that my car did not have that rod. My car is a 1965 mustang coupe 289 2V-4V converted, C4, I would appreciate any responses

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
On my 67, the throttle linkage has one rod that goes up to the carburetor and one that goes down towards the transmission. See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure looks like it. Probably the easiest would be to go with the '66-68 style... Accelerator Linkage Pedal Pivot Automatic Transmission V8 1966-1968

The '65 style was a bellcrank contraption that bolted to the intake manifold and I don't think it's repro'd so it'd be used....
Appreciate the fast response. Would this be the only part I would need or is there other separate kits I need to purchase along with the part you recommended ? I just want to make sure I have everything
Sure looks like it. Probably the easiest would be to go with the '66-68 style... Accelerator Linkage Pedal Pivot Automatic Transmission V8 1966-1968

The '65 style was a bellcrank contraption that bolted to the intake manifold and I don't think it's repro'd so it'd be used....
Would this part need an additional kit or would this be all I would have to order ? I just want to make sure I have everything since I always seem to forget one small part that delays the project a week or two 😅

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You need the accelerator pedal assembly, firewall grommet and C4 cable kickdown kit. It will take 2-4 hours to install.

NPD or CJP has all the parts.

I have them for my 65, havent done the install yet.

The factory rod doesnt work well with aftermarket carbs, thats probably why it was tossed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need the accelerator pedal assembly, firewall grommet and C4 cable kickdown kit. It will take 2-4 hours to install.

NPD or CJP has all the parts.

I have them for my 65, havent done the install yet.

The factory rod doesnt work well with aftermarket carbs, thats probably why it was tossed.
Thanks for the reply, I'll probably place the order tonight since their having a sale going on at CJs. I'm just surprised my car ran fine without this part, is it supposed to be fine without it ?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I was in the same boat as you about 7 years ago. Trying to source the 65 kick down linkage isn't easy but not impossible. It's a one year setup for the 65 Mustang. I was able to source the parts but I had to buy a complete engine and C4 trans to get the linkage (bell crank, kick down rod and kick down lever on trans). I made out on the deal by selling off the parts I didn't need.

If you don't have a concours car (which it looks like you don't), then go with the 66 kick down setup as others have suggested. You already have the correct kick down lever on the trans (I'd bet it's a 66 C4), so all you'll have to buy is the accelerator pedal assembly, kick down cable and attaching hardware.

Cable
Attaching Hardware
Accelerator Pedal Assembly

Here's some diagrams for you to see the differences.

65 Linkage

66 Linkage

And yes, the engine will run fine without the kick down linkage installed. It wont drop the trans into second gear when you push the gas pedal down during hard acceleration. Some call it a "passing gear".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in the same boat as you about 7 years ago. Trying to source the 65 kick down linkage isn't easy but not impossible. It's a one year setup for the 65 Mustang. I was able to source the parts but I had to buy a complete engine and C4 trans to get the linkage (bell crank, kick down rod and kick down lever on trans). I made out on the deal by selling off the parts I didn't need.

If you don't have a concours car (which it looks like you don't), then go with the 66 kick down setup as others have suggested. You already have the correct kick down lever on the trans (I'd bet it's a 66 C4), so all you'll have to buy is the accelerator pedal assembly, kick down cable and attaching hardware.

Cable
Attaching Hardware
Accelerator Pedal Assembly

Here's some diagrams for you to see the differences.

65 Linkage

View attachment 755702

66 Linkage

View attachment 755700

And yes, the engine will run fine without the kick down linkage installed. It wont drop the trans into second gear when you push the gas pedal down during hard acceleration. Some call it a "passing gear".
I appreciate the detailed response, this was exactly what I was looking for. I'm about to place the my order in a bit and hopefully it'll be installed in about a week or two

·
Just some guy
20,219 Posts
Some people have been known to take the kickdown rods off on purpose. You don't really have to have it. All it does is drop the transmission down a gear when you stomp the gas pedal. You can do the same thing by pulling the shifter down a gear and then stomping the gas. The C4 won't mind. As long as you don't try to pull down to first gear at 80 miles and hour or something silly.
Note, the are other transmissions that LOOK like they have kickdowns but they are not. They are in fact throttle valve controls and if you remove them you stand an excellent chance of damaging the transmission's internals. A Ford AOD is a prime example. But that does not apply to this particular car and transmission being discussed in this thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people have been known to take the kickdown rods off on purpose. You don't really have to have it. All it does is drop the transmission down a gear when you stomp the gas pedal. You can do the same thing by pulling the shifter down a gear and then stomping the gas. The C4 won't mind. As long as you don't try to pull down to first gear at 80 miles and hour or something silly.
Note, the are other transmissions that LOOK like they have kickdowns but they are not. They are in fact throttle valve controls and if you remove them you stand an excellent chance of damaging the transmission's internals. A Ford AOD is a prime example. But that does not apply to this particular car and transmission being discussed in this thread.
Thanks for the response, I ordered one just to have but I don't plan on slamming on the gas pedal any time soon, I just want this car to work 😅

·
Just some guy
20,219 Posts
Like I said, you don't actually have to have it and some people actually don't want it. But me, I like my automatic transmissions to BE automatic. And so I will always have a kickdown on mine. You do realize that when you get one on your car you're going to have to go and test it, right? :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Like I said, you don't actually have to have it and some people actually don't want it. But me, I like my automatic transmissions to BE automatic. And so I will always have a kickdown on mine. You do realize that when you get one on your car you're going to have to go and test it, right? :)
Yup, needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought it was bolt on and go, good thing you mentioned testing! I'll do some research this week on how to adjust and lets see how it goes, thanks for the reply

·
Just some guy
20,219 Posts
Well I was thinking of testing it the fun way but sure, you could do it in the shop using the manual I guess.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I’m going to suggest checking/replacing the driver’s side motor mount, especially if you have old 65 style.

If motor mount breaks with the 65 style motor mounts, throttle linkage can bind in high rpm’s...turn ignition off immediately.

It happened to me twice, before I figured out the problem.
They were original mounts BTW.
And that was many years ago.
Never had a problem since.

Have fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your carb is hooked up wrong on the car. Your trans kick down lever should be full forward and a screw in the lever. That carb has a kick down provision for later model Ford that have a trans kick down lever. The carb here is a 1967 Holley 3793 for a 67 GT 390. Look at the accelerator lever and yours. Yes I know for a C6. I have a 67 Mustang C4 auto and this carb is fine. Take a good look at a 69 or 70 that have this kick down. BTW...the kick down levers are different for 2v and 4V. Look at the instructions that came with the carb and the auto trans hook-up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts