Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, to make a long story short I purchased a car (stripped, rolling shell) tried to register it and it turned out to be stolen. Apparently it has been passed around as a parts car. It is a 1966 6cyl. coupe.
Did a Calif. DMV search to find the owners which was the insurance company, I bought it again. They sent out an investigator and reported the car as being recovered and sold to me.
DMV registered the car to me but won’t complete the registration because there is a DOJ hold on the car. DMV checked and tells me that PD will need to report the car as being recovered and get the DOJ hold removed (already done) “we can’t do anything to remove the hold” said the DMV J.
I contacted the DOJ and they said the hold is due to the Vin Plate on the dash is missing (stolen), and to get a blue plate to replace the original VIN. Of course we know that it’s on the driver’s door and is not actually a VIN plate for registration. Seams that the system is making this more complicated than necessary.
I have been working on this for 9 months. Has anyone else experienced similar problems :).
Thanks, any insight would be appreciated.
Tim

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
What about the vin on the front ds fender? That must still be there.
Stan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the vin on the front ds fender? That must still be there.
Stan
Oh yea all 4 vins are on the inside front fenders, DOJ is saying there needs to be a tag or plate. I am wondering if any one else has run up against a similar problem.
Your fastback looks great by the way

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You need to send some documentation to the DOJ showing where VIN numbers are located on pre '68 vehicles. The '66 shop manual states "The official Vehicle Identification Number, for title and registration purposes, is stamped on the top upper flange of the left front fender for Falcon, Comet and Mustang (Fig. 5)". The picture is on page 1-2 and the above quote in on page 1-3.

Good Luck getting the government to understand common sense explanations. If needed, PM me and I will scan and e-mail those pages to you. Let us know how it turns out.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Where are you located? You mentioned Cal in your post but where are you trying to register the car? Hard to believe CA DMV is unfamiliar with Mustangs or other vintage cars. This isn't a Mustang thing, vehicles before 68 didn't have VIN on top of dash by windshield. The sticker/tag on the door is not official VIN because the door is often replaced! Show them a Ford shop manual (not Chilton).

If the VINs are on the inner aprons and match the title this is as good as it gets for a pre 68. Buy a door tag from Marti to make them happy. Reason Marti makes them is they aren't a legal ID anyhow!

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds like some where during the recovery paper work, somebody checked the box that said there was no dash VIN. DOJ computer takes that to mean the plate is in the hands of a thief, and won't release the VIN. They now want you to get a new assigned VIN (the blue plate).
It might be worth it to go to your local CHP office. Ask to speak to their VIN officer. He/she may be able to get the paper work corrected so that you can register it under the original VIN. Worst case, they will put the blue sticker on it (assigned VIN) and you can register it under that number.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
You're dealing with govt. employees that cannot understand common sense. Just ask the guy that was building the Shelby contuation cars. he got raided by a fully armed SWAT team for changing door tags due to door replacements! He had to pull out the book (FSM) to prove to the officials too. It eventually put him out of business due to legal battles where there never was a problem other than govt. employees.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are you located? You mentioned Cal in your post but where are you trying to register the car? Hard to believe CA DMV is unfamiliar with Mustangs or other vintage cars. This isn't a Mustang thing, vehicles before 68 didn't have VIN on top of dash by windshield. The sticker/tag on the door is not official VIN because the door is often replaced! Show them a Ford shop manual (not Chilton).

If the VINs are on the inner aprons and match the title this is as good as it gets for a pre 68. Buy a door tag from Marti to make them happy. Reason Marti makes them is they aren't a legal ID anyhow!
Fresno, Ca

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Hi, to make a long story short I purchased a car (stripped, rolling shell) tried to register it and it turned out to be stolen. Apparently it has been passed around as a parts car. It is a 1966 6cyl. coupe.
Did a Calif. DMV search to find the owners which was the insurance company, I bought it again. They sent out an investigator and reported the car as being recovered and sold to me.
DMV registered the car to me but won’t complete the registration because there is a DOJ hold on the car. DMV checked and tells me that PD will need to report the car as being recovered and get the DOJ hold removed (already done) “we can’t do anything to remove the hold” said the DMV J.
I contacted the DOJ and they said the hold is due to the Vin Plate on the dash is missing (stolen), and to get a blue plate to replace the original VIN. Of course we know that it’s on the driver’s door and is not actually a VIN plate for registration. Seams that the system is making this more complicated than necessary.
I have been working on this for 9 months. Has anyone else experienced similar problems :).
Thanks, any insight would be appreciated.
Tim

What they are talking about is a state issued VIN tag that they will rivet to the door frame. This is due to the theft, stripping of the car, and it's recovery. I believe the CHP is the one that issues and installs them.

This is what it looks like,

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm guessing these officials can't read:

I think we're lucky they can manage to dress themselves in the morning.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Maxum96 put up a good picture of the "blue" tag DMV talked about. Fresno is maybe the car theft capital of Calif., so the local CHP office should have a real good idea of what you need.
They may be able to convince DOJ that there is no missing VIN plate so they can clear the original number.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update to missing VIN, DOJ stop

I tried educating the DOJ, they informed me that they are aware of multiple VIN numbers on cars and they can't help me (they sort of missed the point). They did confirm that the Fresno PD entered a stolen VIN tag on 5-12-2010, which may be helpful.
Called Fresno PD records but due to budget restraints they are only open 2 hours a day and don't know when they can get back to me.

Called CHP and got a similar answer but they will get back to me:)

I am hoping that there CHP Vin officer can help.

With each agency I get little bits of info, there must be a way to rectify a mistake other than placing a new VIN on a car that doesn’t need one.
I haven't given up yet

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Man, what a nightmare! Of course, dealing with govt employees always is. It always seems like you're bothering them instead of them being paid with your tax dollars to help you resolve your issue. Ironic isn't it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds like some where during the recovery paper work, somebody checked the box that said there was no dash VIN. DOJ computer takes that to mean the plate is in the hands of a thief, and won't release the VIN. They now want you to get a new assigned VIN (the blue plate).
It might be worth it to go to your local CHP office. Ask to speak to their VIN officer. He/she may be able to get the paper work corrected so that you can register it under the original VIN. Worst case, they will put the blue sticker on it (assigned VIN) and you can register it under that number.
Yep, sounds like that is what happened, now i just need to uncheck the box :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
You need to get ahold of someone in the DOJ who knows a thing or two about VIN's. The dash VIN is missing because there never was one. Dash VIN's came out with the 68 models. All VIN's necessary to properly title and register the car are on the left front fender apron. I believe there is a secondary location on the right apron as well. As stated, the door tag is for reference only and not legal verification of the VIN.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You're dealing with govt. employees that cannot understand common sense. Just ask the guy that was building the Shelby contuation cars. he got raided by a fully armed SWAT team for changing door tags due to door replacements! He had to pull out the book (FSM) to prove to the officials too. It eventually put him out of business due to legal battles where there never was a problem other than govt. employees.
Are you referring to "Unique Performance"?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you spoken to one of the local CHP officers that do VIN verification?

I would think, that if you had all your appropriate documentation together and met with one of them you'd have some handle on how to get past this.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts