Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mission Suspension: I drive around Houston's potholed infested roads with my significant other. I have no aspirations of being a professional stunt car or race driver. I do like pressing on the pedal and taking turns at speed. I would like it to handle better but don't want it to ride like a Jeep or loose like a Caddie. Budget - Under <$3000

Current Specs:
1966 Coupe
289 w/ Snyper EFI Dual Exhaust
C4 Trans
PS/AC
Brakes Front Disc CSRP Disc Swap 1.3PBU SWAP.1.3/PBU: 5 lug power assist upgraded disc brake conversion for 5 lug 64-66 Mustang, manual or power steering, includes 65.PBU power brake upgrade kit, 8 CYL SPINDLES REQUIRED, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION cars only
Rear Original Drums
Steering: Original Ford Power Steering, rebuilt pump and lower control arms. not performing awesome.

Front Suspension 11/09/2002 All these parts were interchanged in 2002, but have less than 100 Miles - Car had been a Hanger Queen
No Arning Drop - No 1" Sway Bar
Deluxe Front End Kit C5ZSZ-3078-K5X All Stock Stuff - Rubber looks good still
Heavy Duty Springs (Cut on Coil) C7ZZ-5560-R
New Monroe gasmatic shocks all 4 corners

Rear Suspension
4 Leaf stock spring Rubber in hangers has signs of dry rot

Tires 215/70 14 All corners

On order to be delivered on 10/31
17x7 front 17x8 Rear Wheels - No rubber selected

·
Registered
19,969 Posts
Absolutely do the Arning drop. It's the single thing that is going to make a profound difference. After that, as long as your suspension parts are in good shape you're well on your way. Next up I'm fond of adjustable struts. They use rod ends instead of rubber biscuits. The rubber compresses erratically which moves the lower control arm all around which effects alignment which effects how the car handles. The struts don't compress and you get consistent, repeatable operation. Plus they make it easy to fine tune caster.

I'm using roller bearing spring perches. To me, they rotate freely and are very durable. IMO, they'll far outlast the life of a stock rubber bushing perch. Some people feel they're not worth it. If nothing else the added life is enough reason to use them.

Shocks, if you have the money invest! There are several great shocks. Koni are excellent. I'm using Bilsteins I bought from Street or Track. They have them custom valved. Are they the best? I don't know but they sure work great and are a known. If nothing else, they're a safe bet.

Get a good alignment. Look for a shop that is more independent and not a typical chain store. They'll listen to what you want and understand why. These cars are limited to caster and camber range. They use shims to set these. It becomes a dance at some point between having positive caster with negative camber and ends up in a compromise. Get as much caster as you can with camber slightly negative. These mods won't break the budget but will totally changed the car!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just posted my front coilover kit for sale if your interested in something like this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As posted many times, the roller bearing/hemi joint front suspension actually give a great ride. Mine (from GW, their +3 version) with Bilsteins actually takes bad roads better than my Mini.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just posted my front coilover kit for sale if your interested in something like this.

You should update the title of your for sale ads, as these are not Mike Maier Inc. coil-overs.
Mike makes a killer setup with a very beefy upper control arm and top-end JRI shocks.

I'm sure the Maier Racing ones you have are a huge upgrade for anyone, but they are not Mike's.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What or who is GW?
Global West. They are one of the outfits that manufactures new suspension systems for classic cars. Their +3 set up gives 3 degrees of caster by moving the top ball joint back. Others also do this. If you try to get that much caster with the stock setup it is necessary to pull the lower control arm forward (by the strut rod) so much that the tire hits the fender.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Please consider Street or Track suspension products. Lots of real science and engineering PLUS outstanding customer service. You will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Please consider Street or Track suspension products. Lots of real science and engineering PLUS outstanding customer service. You will not be disappointed!
I'll give that a second, all in favor? :). Shaun is great to deal with, very knowledgeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts