Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1964.5 Sunlight Yellow Ford Mustang
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need advice on how to find someone with my title who has a Ford falcon when I have their title and they have my title for my Ford Mustang.

Story time: someone backed into my car door for my 1964 1/2 mustang i for Im November of 2021 from a family friend who got it from a dealership. Insurance wants to cut me a check but my title VIN is not matching my door tag or chassis VINs under the hood. So I go to check this out online for what the vin represents since my 5R07Uxxxxxx mustang plate is correct. All 1964 mustangs had a 5 for their first numerical digit none ever were official 4 cars. The build date of 23 July indicates it’s 1964 1/2 since they stopped those buildouts on august 17th.
Thé title says 4R01Txxxxxx which is a sunlight yellow 2dr Ford. That vin is for a Ford falcon though (T was engine code for falcons and U is only for 1964 mustang). 07 is the hardtop mustang and 01 is for a falcon 2 door sedan).

I do a bit more research and find that on July 10 is when San Jose production line began building the Ford mustangs and go figure it was the Ford falcon they were built with at San Jose on the same line. So from July 10th until august 17th all San Jose 1964 1/2 Ford mustangs were built alongside 1964 Ford Falcons. Is it possible that for 58 years a identical year and color 2dr mismatch has existed for both of these cars???

Next step I go to check both guns with vindata.com for classic cars. Both are clear non salvage green titled in Florida VINs for their cars. Is it possible some dealer accidentally switched the two titles when both sunlight yellow 2dr Fords we’re on their lot?

Idk which’s scenario holds true. What I do know is that both cars are titled in Florida in the clear for the wrong car.
HOW do I find the owner of my cars title so we can switch titles?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you get the Falcon Title and whose name is listed as the owner?
[/QUOTE

I got it from a family friend who got it from Some previous owner. That owner he doesn’t have contact anymore of.

Thing is this car is in impeccable shape and had original parts except the engine was just swapped in 2020. I just had to replace the generator myself with an alternator.
I was wondering if the DMV would help me cause both titles are titled in Florida? And both are clean and no salvage. And this car definitely hasn’t been parted it’s almost all original except small things and the engine/headers/exhaust/distributor from the new 223 engine dropped replaced the original 170ci.

·
Registered
41,487 Posts
Do you even know if the Ford Falcon actually exists? Do you know whose name is on the MUSTANG Title? Your only recourse might be to have the DMV issue a "bonded title" based on the fact that you don't have a valid one for the Mustang, after they run the VIN through all the appropriate agencies (NCIC, NICS, NLETS, etc.).

Reactions: LSG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did a vin check on both VINs and the titles have been issued out over and over in between the years. And there is a single date time that seems very close in months in Florida. That’s where I suspect both cars would’ve been dealer mixed due to them both being « 1964 » ford 2dr cars. Thé titles don’t show any other information about the vehicle like model. 07/24/2019 my title was issued in Florida and 05/22/2019 the previous owner before my friend had purchased it.
I am wondering if that’s where a mixup would have occurred.

What I do know is the title is being reissued still after the date of this cars purchase as a mustang with the wrong title but same year make door config.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you even know if the Ford Falcon actually exists? Do you know whose name is on the MUSTANG Title? Your only recourse might be to have the DMV issue a "bonded title" based on the fact that you don't have a valid one for the Mustang, after they run the VIN through all the appropriate agencies (NCIC, NICS, NLETS, etc.).
The mustang is titled in my name. I went and brought the title in and titled it after all.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,129 Posts
You said you didn't have the mustang title....

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Cp. Ford Laser Red. 351W stroked to a 427, Borla 8 stack injection system, VERY Custom.
964 Posts
I know you say the VIN listed on your Mustang title goes back to a Ford Falcon, but does your title say "Mustang" or "Falcon" on it?

I had a similar situation. I purchased my 65 Mustang back in 1989 when I was 22 and really didn't know much about cars. I took the paperwork the seller gave me to the registration office. According to the registration office everything was in order (No one ever requested to do a verification that the VIN on the car matched that on the title. Including my young dumb @$$). So, I paid my tax, title and license fees, received my plates and a couple weeks later a title is sent to me in the mail listing me as the owner of a 1965 Mustang.

Years go by and in 2010 I rebuild the car. I NEVER looked at the VIN on the title and matched it to the car. Never had a reason too. But while I was rebuilding the car I did and noticed the VIN on my title was no where close to the VIN on the car car itself. I believe somehow a number from a door tag was used to create the VIN on the title.

Anyway, long story short, I contact the registration office and they tell me I have to go to the impound lot and have the local police do a minor investigation/database look up to verify my car is not stolen or the VIN on my car is not listed to another owner or anything like that. They conduct their review and tell me my car was stolen in 1977, but was recovered. Everything else checks out and my car is cleared.

The police issue me a VIN verification form, I paid for their services and took the paperwork to my vehicle registration office. I turn in my title (with the wrong VIN listed) and all the paperwork I had and the state charges me their fee and issued me a new title with the correct/matching VIN.

So, instead of trying to hunt down someone, you may just need to go through a procedure similar to mine to have your title corrected. Either way it's a pain in the @$$, but in the end you will have a correct title.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know you say the VIN listed on your Mustang title goes back to a Ford Falcon, but does your title say "Mustang" or "Falcon" on it?

I had a similar situation. I purchased my 65 Mustang back in 1989 when I was 22 and really didn't know much about cars. I took the paperwork the seller gave me to the registration office. According to the registration office everything was in order (No one ever requested to do a verification that the VIN on the car matched that on the title. Including my young dumb @$$). So, I paid my tax, title and license fees, received my plates and a couple weeks later a title is sent to me in the mail listing me as the owner of a 1965 Mustang.

Years go by and in 2010 I rebuild the car. I NEVER looked at the VIN on the title and matched it to the car. Never had a reason too. But while I was rebuilding the car I did and noticed the VIN on my title was no where close to the VIN on the car car itself. I believe somehow a number from a door tag was used to create the VIN on the title.

Anyway, long story short, I contact the registration office and they tell me I have to go to the impound lot and have the local police do a minor investigation/database look up to verify my car is not stolen or the VIN on my car is not listed to another owner or anything like that. They conduct their review and tell me my car was stolen in 1977, but was recovered. Everything else checks out and my car is cleared.

The police issue me a VIN verification form, I paid for their services and took the paperwork to my vehicle registration office. I turn in my title (with the wrong VIN listed) and all the paperwork I had and the state charges me their fee and issued me a new title with the correct/matching VIN.

So, instead of trying to hunt down someone, you may just need to go through a procedure similar to mine to have your title corrected. Either way it's a pain in the @$$, but in the end you will have a correct title.
Awesome thank you very much.

the issue with the titles in Florida is that they do not list the model. They only list the make « ford » the color the configuration « 2-door » as well as the weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I had the same problem Car is '66 but had drivers door from a '65. Got it resolved way back.

·
Registered
1966 Convertible 200/C4 Silver/Red
441 Posts
Excuse me, did you say you swapped a 223 into your car? I hope you get your title straightened out, but that's an uncommon mod, and you should post some pictures!

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Cp. Ford Laser Red. 351W stroked to a 427, Borla 8 stack injection system, VERY Custom.
964 Posts
Drivers door has nothing to do with legal vins....
This is true. But people who didn't know any better somehow used the numbers on the door tag, provided that number to the registration office and had a title issued. Then a door is changed and now that number is gone or someone who knows what they are doing goes back and checks and realizes the mistake that was made.

It would seem I'm not the only one this has happened to.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I'm not sure how Florida works but i live in Kansas and this is how I'd do it. I'd just go to the DMV with a bill of sale for the Mustang and get a title for it, it apparently isn't stolen if you did a VIN check on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts