Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting...I removed the windshield and back glass from my 1964.5 coupe, and find that the screws holding the molding clips on the driver's side are all stainless, while the screws used on the passenger side are not. Evidently as the car was moving down the assembly line, the guy on the driver's side had the correct stainless fasteners, while the guy on the passenger side was using something else. It is the same for the front and rear glass. Some of the non-stainless screws are so corroded they they are just nubs.

I'm not sure I've heard of this curiosity before, so I thought I would share.

The correct stainless fastener on is left, one of the non-stainless screws I was able to extract Is on the right.

Some of the passenger side screws are so corroded they are unrecognizable... This one isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Unless they were doing something different than I know of back then, none of those screws were original to the car. They're all replacements for the long gone original post type.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless they were doing something different than I know of back then, none of those screws were original to the car.
War do you mean? IIRC the early Mustangs all used the stainless retainers for the molding clips. 1966 and later used the welded on pins to retain the clips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts