Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I think I have my front coilover decision narrowed down to two options, but there are some fundamental differences and I am hoping for some useful thoughts from the community. I think I have narrowed it down to Mike Maier Inc and Street or Track systems. Obviously, the MMI system is a little more expensive (about $500 once you add the front sway bar to SoT) - but I am curious about thoughts on some of the other fundamental differences.

Both systems include upper and lower arms, coilovers with quality shocks, new strut rods, etc. Some of the primary differences I have noticed are:

- MMI upper control arms are offset, SoT are symmetrical
- MMI coilover lower mount is on the upper arm, SoT is on the lower arm.
- MMI uses JRI shocks, SoT uses Bilstein (I am sure both are great)

Can anyone provide some thoughts on the reason and impact of these differences?

Almost forgot some info I know will be asked: The car is a 66 coupe with a well built 302, possible 347 in the future. I don't intend to track the car, it is primarily an aggressive driver with occasional autoX a possibility. Wheels are currently 17, considering 18 once I flare the fenders and need wider tires.

Look fowrard to your comments (most of them)...

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm a bit biased as I have the SoT setup on the front of my car. Both Mike and Shaun are awesome to deal with. Shaun for me has been a wealth of knowledge, responds quickly and helpfully to all of my little and sometimes ridiculous questions. Truly a standup human bean.

The coilover mount on the lower arm allows for more travel and a longer shock assembly which can help. There is a lot of theory and discussion as to why that I don't have in front of me.

JRI and Bilstein are both a quality shock. I've also always been more of a bilstein fan, from the days of me having classic BMWs. I like the valving thats in mine as a street car. Its stiff but not obnoxious or rough. The car is well planted.

I'm not 100% sure on the reasoning for the offset upper arms. I know SoT's comes with the template and instructions for the Arning drop. I haven't looked THAT closely at the MMI setup.

Both good choices.

My only regret? That I didn't get SoT's 3 link rear at the same time. haha

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
Hey everyone,

I think I have my front coilover decision narrowed down to two options, but there are some fundamental differences and I am hoping for some useful thoughts from the community. I think I have narrowed it down to Mike Maier Inc and Street or Track systems. Obviously, the MMI system is a little more expensive (about $500 once you add the front sway bar to SoT) - but I am curious about thoughts on some of the other fundamental differences.

Both systems include upper and lower arms, coilovers with quality shocks, new strut rods, etc. Some of the primary differences I have noticed are:

- MMI upper control arms are offset, SoT are symmetrical
- MMI coilover lower mount is on the upper arm, SoT is on the lower arm.
- MMI uses JRI shocks, SoT uses Bilstein (I am sure both are great)

Can anyone provide some thoughts on the reason and impact of these differences?

Almost forgot some info I know will be asked: The car is a 66 coupe with a well built 302, possible 347 in the future. I don't intend to track the car, it is primarily an aggressive driver with occasional autoX a possibility. Wheels are currently 17, considering 18 once I flare the fenders and need wider tires.

Look fowrard to your comments (most of them)...
Thank you for giving us a look!

Just for clarification, our upper arms ARE offset. The frame's are symmetrical but when we put them together the front bearing is farther out than the rear inducing approximately 3 degrees of positive caster just in the arm.

Looks like we need to raise our pricing as I see almost a $700 difference in the non-adjustable shock setup.

If you have any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
19,975 Posts
I’m also biased since I have SoT. Honestly both guys make cream of the crop parts. As Shaun said his arms are offset via the adjustable rod ends. This is exactly why I bought SoT. I was originally looking at GW parts. At the time GW did not have their +3 arms on the market. When I saw SoT press release on their soon to be released upper control arms and seeing them in person at Carlisle I knew they were the parts for me. A big advantage of the SoT upper arms if they ever need to be rebuilt, they can with readily available off the shelf parts.

Even with my mediocre driving skills I can easily outdrive my tires grip. No matter who’s suspension you go with the limiting factors are going to be your driving skills, your tires and how well you set your suspension up.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think the coilover mounted to the LCA is a superior setup. It puts the instant center at a lower angle. It is similar to some modern suspensions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for giving us a look!

Just for clarification, our upper arms ARE offset. The frame's are symmetrical but when we put them together the front bearing is farther out than the rear inducing approximately 3 degrees of positive caster just in the arm.

Looks like we need to raise our pricing as I see almost a $700 difference in the non-adjustable shock setup.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Shaun - Thanks for the clarification! I will call you with additional questions.

Also, Don't raise your prices, I am afraid I might get banned from the forum... ;)

Ian

·
Registered
554 Posts
Anyone know why the MMI lower coilover mount is on the upper arm? Has anyone ever heard Mike’s reasoning on this?
I haven’t heard anything on why he mounted the coilover to the upper arm, but I do know that the mounting point is moved closer to the ball joint to improve motion ratio. Not sure if the motion ratio is equivalent to that of a LCA mount.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!
OUCH!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Not meant as an insult, just a funny picture...
I'm still getting killed by a late 90's Towncar "good driver" at autocross by 2+ seconds . The car following Tom appears to be fueled by rice which is often worse. We either make $250K a year or do it for fun!:wink:

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how about this one

Pic taken at WGI during opening weekend, technically paced at 55 mph however we hit north of 100 on a couple section of track. It depends on the group you go with and the pace driver

·
Registered
19,975 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of those turbo Focus. He was pretty fast. I don’t know if he was stock but he was a PIA. We weren’t allowed to pass. On longer runs he would hold back then do a high speed charge, again not allowed and as I’d come up on a RH turn, he’d be on my RH side as though he was going to pass me on the right. We’d be doing around 80 mph

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I think the coilover mounted to the LCA is a superior setup. It puts the instant center at a lower angle. It is similar to some modern suspensions.
How does where a shock mounts effect instant center?
From talking to both Mike and Shaun, I believe the geometry of both setups is very similar.
I suspect the results might be similar too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How does where a shock mounts effect instant center?
From talking to both Mike and Shaun, I believe the geometry of both setups is very similar.
I suspect the results might be similar too.
From what I recall, the mounting spot for the shocks on the MMI setup was so someone could go with their coil over set up without requiring a change to the lower control arm.

I’ll be going with MMI within the next year for my car due to this reason, as well as other reasons.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts