Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I think the coilover mounted to the LCA is a superior setup. It puts the instant center at a lower angle. It is similar to some modern suspensions.
How does where a shock mounts effect instant center?
From talking to both Mike and Shaun, I believe the geometry of both setups is very similar.
I suspect the results might be similar too.
From what I recall, the mounting spot for the shocks on the MMI setup was so someone could go with their coil over set up without requiring a change to the lower control arm.

I’ll be going with MMI within the next year for my car due to this reason, as well as other reasons.
What other reasons are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
While I haven't worked out the math myself, Mike claims a motion ratio of 1.7 which is similar to Shaun's I believe. The lower shock mounting point on the MMI is sort of under the ball joint if you look closely.
Mike touts the superior JRi shock. I am not sure it is superior to Shauns Bilstein. At the end of the day, it's all about valving.
Comparing Mikes Mod 1 to Shaun's (having never driven neither - I have Global West) I think they are similar.
MMI- Mike is a world class driver and you get that experience. He's also not afraid to think out of the box.
SoT - better value and great support customer service.
If I were comparing the MMI Mod 1 to SOT to purchase, I would likely buy the SOT due to price.
If I had unlimited money and fab skills, I would buy the MMI Mod 2 setup.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It least it wasn't a Ford Transit van........

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
We have plenty of VMF members with Shaun’s coilover setup but I don’t know of any with Mike’s. It’s hard to get a good feel for the differences between the two when there is no one (at least no one chiming in) that has experience with both setups

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
There is a long time member here with a red mustang that has the MMI front suspension.
He’s also a MCA judge I believe?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I think Trkpny2 is the member with the MMI front suspension.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
BTW Chuck (Trkpny2) in an old post claims 6 - 8 seconds gain at Sears Point with the MMI suspension compared to what he had before. I don't know what his previous setup was however. Maybe it was worn out bone stock stuff....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts