Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a sticky lifter, which seems to free up after perhaps 15 mins. running (or at least the noise stops). I was about to drain a quart of oil then add Marvel Mystery Oil as suggested elsewhere here, but happened to think...is it OK to mix MMO with a synthetic oil?

I've read elsewhere here about not using synthetics with older engines (mine has 117k, with a rebuild "sometime prior to 1975"), and may switch to a 10w40 dinosaur product. I only have perhaps 500 miles on this Mobil 1, though.

Any thoughts/assistance appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've never heard of MMO - what's it's claim to fame?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been into auto mechanics at all, but at age 46 am trying to learn; hence, asking me its "claim to fame" just gets a parroted answer based on what I've read here ::

Evidently it's been around since the '20s, and is useful both as an addtive to gas AND to engine oil. I've read a number of reports here of it freeing up sticky lifters (plus help;ing remove sludge), as well as some posts from folks who regularly put it in their gas for both increased mileage and carb varnish removal.

I've also seen recos of using it when starting up an engine that's been sitting for quite some time (pulling plugs and pouting a spoonful down each cylinder). As this vert was driven about 25 feet a month (down the drive and back) for the last couple years by its elderly owner, I'd guess it's not quite in the "been sitting" category, though not far from it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil; I love that stuff and have used it for over thirty years, it loosen rings, bowels, or anything else clogged up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you take a spoonful every morning? ::

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
better then citracel or medimuceal? damn fiber I'm still not regular, wait MMO? Cancer and it helps you stay regular!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've used Marvel's Mystery oil to loosen sticky lifters. I've also used Mobil 1 in an old engine with 100,000-plus miles. I've also used Marvel's Mystery Oil and Mobil 1 in an engine with 100,000-plus miles. The result was no problems, no leaks, just an engine with clean, well-lubed rockers, lifters, bearings, etc.

The reason some say not to use synthetic oil with old engines is that the synthetic can be so slick that it causes leaks. That wasn't my experience.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx much, Doug- that's the answer I was looking for. I'm off to go swap a quart, then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts