Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of planning my next project which will be a 1967 or 1968 Mustang. I want to build a Hot Rod , modern engine, transmission, (400HP with 5 speed manual shift), disc brakes, air conditioning, etc.... I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction as far as "Who makes modern suspension and steering kits for the above car mentioned". I'm hoping find "how to install the right way information also, YouTube how to's hopefully so I can get my head around what has to be done to make it happen.

Any info on how to videos, who sell's, brands, kits, etc.... is appreciated ~ Lenny B

·
Spammer Hammer
9,649 Posts
In your tenure here, Surely you have seen mention of Street or Track, Opentracker Racing, Maier Racing.

In any event, you’re never going to achieve the level of modernization of a new Mustang. You can make these cars much better than they were originally, but not like a new car.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
In your tenure here, Surely you have seen mention of Street or Track, Opentracker Racing, Maier Racing.

In any event, you’re never going to achieve the level of modernization of a new Mustang. You can make these cars much better than they were originally, but not like a new car.
Although, if he transfers a BOATLOAD of cash to Shaun (SorT), he can get pretty close!

Mark

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Sir,
That's good information to start with. Just trying to get a realistic view which makes your comment very note worthy.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just my experience and opinion, but my car runs the Street or Track coil over kit in front with street valving and I dont think you could get a more modern feel without cutting up the chassis. I bought based on reading countless reviews and its as good or better than I expected. I have no doubts that adding his rear 3 link would be the icing on the cake.

Reactions: SkylaneAv8r

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Has anyone seen where the builder took a modern cars suspension and drive train and made it work with a vintage mustang (like a modern Mustang GT)? I'm hoping to do something along the lines of what Graveyard Carzs and Magnum Force did with their 1971 Cuda if anyone saw that show. 1971 Hemi Plymouth Barracuda Build Graveyard Carz / Magnum Force

What I'd like to build and what they built:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
With lots of cash you can do a lot of things. Depending on the new drivetrain you choose you are looking at lots of cutting and welding.

Having said that I am impressed with how my 66 drives with mostly stock new suspension with roller perches and bilstein shocks and the arming drop. Did the front disc upgrade and it stops great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Dropping a modern Hemi on an old Cuda is mostly bolt in. Stuffing a coyote into an old mustang requires cutting up the chassis. If that's cool with you, there are plenty of topics in the build forum to pick ideas from.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Unless you're using a Coyote or Big Block and need tons of space, I always advise against the "shock tower delete" kits. There isn't a big perfomance gain compared to a modified / upgraded Arning SLA design.

Klaus Arning = Original Ford designer
SLA = Short Long Arm Double Wishbone
MS = McPherson Strut

No doubt I've missed a few brands, but some good terms to research include...

Mustangs To Fear (MTF)
Total Control Products (TCP)
Total Cost Involved (TCI)
Street or Track (SoT)
Opentracker Racing
Maier Racing
AJE Suspension (McPherson strut)
Gateway mustang (McPherson strut)
Roadster Shop
Detroit Speed and Engineering (DSE)
Schwartz Performance
Heidts
Fatman

I advise avoiding " R3 Performance Products" (R3PP) which has put out strong negative vibes I don't like. Search the forum for the tale.

Have fun reading! Welcome to the rabbit hole!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I'm building a '67 using Shaun's front suspension and his 3 link rear suspension, as well as disc brakes all around. I'm using a Tremec T56 6 speed and an engine from Ford strokers.com The engine is a Dart 363 and will have between 500 and 550 HP at the flywheel. I'm using hydroboost brakes and power steering using a KRC pump, as well as a serpentine accessory drive . It will also have A/C. I don't think you could get much more modern in a 53 year old body style.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Mine drives well with rebuilt and replaced suspension and steering though I have modern shocks and stock appearing semi performance springs. But it doesn’t drive like a new car. That was my goal, new like how it worked in 67. People rave about the modern coil over kits but it’s still based around a 50 year old design. You can’t really duplicate late model rides with bolt on kits but it sure does improve them.

For late model handling you’ll have to full resto mod it or skin a late model Mustang with a vintage body. I suppose you could start with a salvaged late model Mustang and skin it with a Dynacorn kit or suitable donor. The salvage is $5-10k, vintage donor Fastback $12-15k for a carcass and interior starting point. Or perhaps take a ladder type chassis or clip kit from someone like Chris Alston (Total Control Products) and resto mod your car. Either way far more work than using a bolt on kit to a more or less stock vintage Mustang.

·
Registered
69 Sportsroof
364 Posts
Rebuilt my 69 suspension with mild upgrades from OpenTracker.
Replaced: Tie rod ends, lower control arms and all bushings
Upgrades: Roller bearing Spring Perches, 620# springs, shocks, and Arning/Shelby drop
Also rebuilt all steering and upgraded to a roller bearing idler arm.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm building a '67 using Shaun's front suspension and his 3 link rear suspension, as well as disc brakes all around. I'm using a Tremec T56 6 speed and an engine from Ford strokers.com The engine is a Dart 363 and will have between 500 and 550 HP at the flywheel. I'm using hydroboost brakes and power steering using a KRC pump, as well as a serpentine accessory drive . It will also have A/C. I don't think you could get much more modern in a 53 year old body style.
Do you have a link to Shaun's website so I can see what he offers? Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a 68’ coupe basically stock all new suspension all around. 4 drum brakes 15” wheels still and in my opinion the Bilstein shocks alone have made the thing ride like a new car. It even Stops well in the drums. Or dang close and I’m Spoiled. Comparing it to my 2016 Audi S4 I’d say it’s 80% as good. Of course not at the sheer speeds the Audi will do...but in terms of ride quality.

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
556 Posts
Or dang close and I’m Spoiled.
Agree with Jsbenami... I'm spoiled rotten. I don't want my 66 Fastback to handle like my 2019 BMW. In comparison, the BMW is bland, lifeless and just dull... The comfort is there for a true daily, but for a fun car on spirited drives I'll take the Stang any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, the BMW is a great thing and I truly enjoy it, but they are completely different animals. And my Bimmer would smoke my fastback.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone seen where the builder took a modern cars suspension and drive train and made it work with a vintage mustang (like a modern Mustang GT)? I'm hoping to do something along the lines of what Graveyard Carzs and Magnum Force did with their 1971 Cuda if anyone saw that show. 1971 Hemi Plymouth Barracuda Build Graveyard Carz / Magnum Force

What I'd like to build and what they built:
View attachment 758990
View attachment 758991
Purchase Dave Stribbling's book How to install Ford modular eng. into mustangs,Torinos etc lots of good info there is a write up in the book on his mustang in Black basically gutted a late 90's corba & put everything in a 67 fastback I think complete drive train, suspension even the abs system. Check it out might find you need in it

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Lenny, what year is your car and what engine do you have now ? And, BEFORE you do anything, do some serious reading and thinking. Be aware that your car ALREADY HAS Independent Front Suspension. There are lots of companies selling lots of crap that doesn't really help you. If you have power steering now, have Chock rebuild it and keep it. The rack & pinion setups are NOT modern, they are an adaptation of sailing ship steering gear from the 1500s. The ONLY reason new cars have them instead of recirculating ball boxes is because they are cheaper. The spring tower-less stuff that so many places offer, and the McPherson struts stuff, is only 'modern' in that it is cheaper to make. It is in no way, shape, or form, BETTER than what you have now. The long arm / short arm setup that you already have is really the one that you want. And I would skip Dave's installing the Mod motor book because installing a mod motor is also the wrong way to go. Ford SHOULD HAVE kept making windsors & Clevelands. 400 hp is 'fall off a log ' easy from a built 351W. Slickfit TKO trans goes in with zero butchery. And if you talk to Opentracker and Street or Track, you'll have more handling power than you have courage to use. New only means of recent manufacture, it doesn't always mean it is improved. many engineering and manufacturing changes are only done to make products cheaper to produce. Don't fall for some of the hype. A well restored early model with carefully chosen parts can do everything you want it to do. there, rant off. I feel better now. LSG

1 - 20 of 43 Posts