Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
After having my steering parts rebuilt by Chock, I'm glad I never made the switch to R&P like I was seriously considering a few years ago. With rebuilt components on the power steering, improved SoT parts, Arning drop, export brace (that's been there for 30 years), Monte Carlo bar, and Zray's crossmember, it handles better than it did when it was new, and just as well as my Explorer.

·
Registered
69 Sportsroof
364 Posts
As others have said. People today drive these cars with worn out suspensions that are out of alignment and think that's how they drove when new. Totally false. With a few minor tweaks, these cars with a rebuilt suspension will actually drive very well. The Arning drop, good quality shocks, bigger front sway bar and modern alignment will do it. Going to aftermarket such as Street or Track, Opentracker Racing or Global West you start to add to a more precise and smoother feel.

Everyone wants to run R&P. There's really not much wrong with R&P by itself. The problem is adapting a system from one application it was designed for and installing it on something that wasn't. You end up with compromises and poor operation. A R&P must be a clean sheet design for our Mustangs and not many companies are going to make the investment in a niche item. Everything about a drag link system is different then a R&P with one of the key components being the spindles.

I'd highly recommend taking the time learning about suspensions, the faults of the Mustang's suspension and how you plan on driving it. Only after doing this will you really be able to pick the right components. You should also pencil in the cost of a caster/camber gauge as part of your suspension and learn how to use it. That's my 20/20 hind sight.
Agree, Mine drives better than new with stock style suspension, replacement of worn parts, and minor tweakslike spring perches, thicker sway bar, etc.

·
Registered
69 Sportsroof
364 Posts
After having my steering parts rebuilt by Chock, I'm glad I never made the switch to R&P like I was seriously considering a few years ago. With rebuilt components on the power steering, improved SoT parts, Arning drop, export brace (that's been there for 30 years), Monte Carlo bar, and Zray's crossmember, it handles better than it did when it was new, and just as well as my Explorer.
Yes, Chock rebuilt my steering too. I love driving my car after the steering and suspension updates.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts