Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did some research but couldn't quite find the question and answer I was looking for and hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question...

I am restoring my 1967 coupe and I need to replace the trunk hinges, but I would rather not mess with the existing set up in terms of the torsion bars and all that. I assumed there would be a spring hinge version by now but all I could find are spring trunk hinges for 1967-1968 Fastbacks.

My question is: With some modification, does anyone know or think the spring trunk hinges for the fastback (I'll put a picture below) will work for a 1967 coupe trunk lid? Has anyone attempted this?

Here is two trunk with torsion bars for reference but I think the green one is a 1965.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
67 to 70 fastback trunk lid shock kit - Stangaholics

I don't know if they have a bit stronger or different gas shock for the coupe.

·
Registered
35,276 Posts
The hinges for the fastback will not work on a HT/CV. Wrong geometry.

There's nothing wrong with the torsion hinge design. The Shop Manual has instructions for making a simple tool that makes setting the torsion bars easy and safe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Maybe we'll just stick to the torsion bars and get the tool to get them back in. The shock set up is interesting as well I must admit.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
I put one on my 65 because I absolutely hate those frickin torsion rods, LOL. Mine were so strong that they would torque the repop decklid so it didn't sit flat and one of them was forever popping out of place.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
67 to 70 fastback trunk lid shock kit - Stangaholics

I don't know if they have a bit stronger or different gas shock for the coupe.
Does anyone else make those gas strut kits? I looked on Stang-aholics and couldn't find them.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
They have officially named it a fastback trunk lift kit.

Part number: AFM-423431-DLK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts