Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I think I saw somewhere that the early cars had the center section of the seat pans removed during stamping, and that got me to thinking about modifying mine in the 65.

Follow me here, if I took the center section out (while I have the pan out) and made a band to lower that center piece down a few inches I could end up with a nifty place to hide an amplifier, the amp would then screw to that new bottom and leave room between the top of the amp and the bottom of the seat.

The cords could then route into the rocker area and up to the dash, one could go as far as to make a tube to route wires in/out.

I guess it would not need to be made like a bucket, you could just use flat stock to make extensions to lower that section down?

Is that center roundish section expected to add much strength? I dont think it really does?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I had exactly this same idea when I saw the open area in the seat pans on a 64 1/2 coupe a friend was working on. I told him I had a small amp under my passsenger seat and would like to use a bigger one that I had and if my pans on my 64 1/2 convertible was like those I could do it. I just don't know if I want to cut my pans or not. I wonder about the strength thing also.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Are you referring to the seat risers? That welded in section does add a little structrual integrity I'm sure. but if you were to open the middle up and then box it in, I don't see why it wouldn't work. just make sure you have the plugs in underneath the car to keep things dry.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Essentially (correct me if I'm wrong) I would think all you would need would be a frame under the seat... as long as you framed up the hole it should be ok.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Your amp will likely overheat if you stick it in that cramped space. They need surrounding air to get rid of the heat.
Good point... it would make an interesting place to put subs though...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Lots of people put amps under seats. If you don't get a wild amp then it will be just fine. I'd do it if I didn't want to take the interior apart again. :D

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
just make sure those 4 rubber plugs are in the floorpan to keep water form the amp ! you fastback you could put in the space inside the rear seat side panels on a fastback. i dont know how much room a coupe has back there.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a couple of Alpine 3522 amps (I am dating myself now) and they have had a hard life, but they are not real big and should fit fine, heat will not be an issue since they will have at least 1" above the fins with this mod. At least it would only take 4 seat bolts to get to these things this way, I was going to put them under the rear seat delete Shelby deal but I dont know when the budget will allow for it, and I dont think they would be accessible very easy, and to add to that I will not ever shoot screws through this trunk, floor or transition for an amp since they are all new.

I just need to leave enough room under the mod for screws to hold down the amps without going into the floor of the car.

I wonder where I could hide a sub....Hmm. I guess a Bazooka Tube in the trunk will have to do.

I cant wait till thats the task at hand, the floor comes out this week.:pirate:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I wonder if an 8" sub or two would fit right under the package tray?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if an 8" sub or two would fit right under the package tray?

I dont have one of those...I thought about cutting holes in the trap door and using a 66 GT350 rear seat delete, or cutting into the rear seat delete behind the drivers /passenger seats but those trays are spendy..

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Fstbk, I didn't notice that you were talking about mods to the fastback for the amp and such. Check out the pics here to see what I did and you may et some ideas of your own.I had a rear shelf delete mad for my fastback and added a platform under it to mount my amp. You will also se the red MSD box that I was thinking of hiding under there but changed my mind on that one.The amp has been under there now 4 yeaars and had no problem with it.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
you could also install a small 12v equipment fan to keep the air moovin. i got a 4" on my kickers and they are real ...... SSHHHHHH....quiet !!! gee i almost forget how to spell > quiet ! might have miss pelleded SSSHHHHHH !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts