Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a situation where my car had a 68 4 spd factory console. I have a mint show quality 68 auto console i picked up.
I also bought a 68 4spd top pad with insert from the auction site. the insert is good, but the foam pad is garbage having multiple splits and bad rust between the back foam and metal.
After looking at the 4spd insert, it looks like it would fit in a 68 auto pad with a little bit of modification/cutting on the left side.

while i am not crazy enough to cut up and destroy
my near nos auto pad i was thinking of maybe buying a spare and trying to see how it would fit......I also am aware the plastic base would also need a piece cut out for the 4 spd insert/pad to fit as well.
has anyone else ever done this or thought of doing it?
thanks
russ

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
You would also have to notch the top plate (metal part) on the driver's side to accomodate the 4spd insert. It would be a shame to do that on a nice piece. I know how rare the 4spd console stuff is. Since the pad covers the console top, I would suggest replacing the metal with some 1/8" inch sheet metal, and use the 4spd insert. -or keep looking for that elusive 4spd console...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts