Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to have three-point restraints in our '66 Mustang that came with simple lap belts. When we did this on the '67, we went to the roof-rail, and had an upholstery man modify the original lap belts. The problem with that method was the difficulty in adjusting for a smaller passenger or a different driver. The 66 coupe does not have a door post to go to, so I'd like to know if anyone else did this, and what solutions they found to the problem. going all the way back to the quarter panel seems awkward. A junk yard dealer suggested we get something out of a pickup, and go to the roof-rail. By the way, I know the car grandfathers the requirement for shoulderbelts, but three point belts are one of the best safety devices, outperforming high-tech airbags, but only when they are done right. We're not obsessed with it, but we've all been through some rough rides, and we like the idea of keeping our brains where we've always kept them. Thanks, again. Rhonda

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
There's many ways to do it, and do it right. One of the requirements I had for my son's '65 is that it would have 3 point belts before he could take it out of the driveway. (A case of the "do as I say, not as I do", since I only have lap belts in my '66 *LOL*).

I've seen some very clean installs, where the top of the quarter pillar was used. The advantage of this is that it doesn't detract from the looks of the car as much, since the belt doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. One disadvantage, I've heard, is that it's very uncomfortable for taller drivers (no problem there, I'm only 5'9", and my son's an inch shorter than me!).

What I did, since my son's '65 was a complete basket case when we started, and we'd completely gutted the interior, was to put anchors in the roof rail, in roughly the same place as they were installed on the post '68 cars. What we did (with no headliner, carpet ot any other interior piece in it, for that matter), was to drill out a couple spot welds in the roof rail. We then split open the roof rail JUST enough to slide anchors that came with our 3 point belts into the rail. We drilled holes in just the right place to accomodate the anchor, and couple more small holes to "spot" weld. We then slid the anchor into the roof rail, lined up the threaded hole of the anchor with our "drilled" hole in the rail, and welded the anchor in at the points where we drilled our small holes. We then bent the rails back into place and re-welded the spot welds that we drilled out. When we were done, we had anchors in the roof rails that are as good as any factory mounts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts