Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build your car the way you want it. But, here is an observation.

Last Jan. at the Barette-Jackson aution a 56 Chevy 2 door hardtop comes through the line. Totally stock EXCEPT, it has a 350 engine,turbo 350 trans, and modern a/c, and goes for $36,000. Several cars later an identical car right down to the color comes through. This car is all ORIGINAL. Sales price? $56,000.

So you build your car cherry and add $10,000 in modifications and end up with $22,000 in the car. Put it up for auction and it will bring about $16,000. Put a total of $15,000 into an original car and get $20,000 plus.
You go figure what original is worth. That is where the money flows to.

Thanks Don

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
good observation, but not always accurate....

the highest auctioned 65/6 Mustang convertible was modified and far from stock. I think auctions are crapshoots. I have seen very tastefully modified cars go for much more than their "plain jane" counterparts. Obviously, cars like Bosses, Cobrajets, Shelbys, etc almost demand to be left stock or as near stock as possible to get the most money. My contention has always been build YOUR car to YOUR satisfaction. I tend to disagree with individuals that build a car with an eye towards resale - thats best left to businessmen. In this day and age, unless you go WAY overboard, most classic Mustang owners can expect to realize some recoupment of their hard earned money (if and when they sell) while at the same time enjoying the car of their dreams.....

randy

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd have to agree with Randy. I have a Mustang because I enjoy them. They are not a money making venture. I expect to put about $20,000 into my car and have a car that is worth about $10,000. But I'm going to have the car that I want and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Randy!!!

other than Bosses, SHelbies and Cobrajets....I think the purist
stance is off limits....

a friend of mine has a 65 fasback which started as a 6 in line
now it is a hooped up 289 with the t-5 5 speed and a currie 9 inch rear.....interior is beautiful tan leather and everything was color matched....

The exterior an unstock brandy wine with long house of color
chameleon flames and tons of clearcoat.

it has shelbyized tailights and trunklid and is gorgeous.

do whatcha like!!!

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
The only way to go is what you will be happy with! Your car will seldom be worth to someone else what it is to you. My vote is for the mod version.

G

·
0 Posts
I like the idea of an original look, but with some modifications acceptable. I think it is a crime to mess with any sheetmetal. Bolt on mods or safety upgrades like seat belts, suspension and disc brakes are great. Keeping all the original parts and storing them clean and dry is always smart.

Nobody knows when it could be a necessity to sell their toys, even as a last resort. Leaving the buyer an option of having a mustang like we like it or being able to return to original condition seems like a good idea.

G

·
0 Posts
I saw mod all the way.I have never seen an all stocker that I liked as is,without some mods of my own added to it.I agree that the price is higher for an all org,all stock car.But it also has to be fun for you to drive and be affordable too.
I dont worry about cutting sheet metal.As long as it's noy a real rare model.Like my C code that was real rough when I got it.It was either I took it off this guys hands or he was going to scrap it out.I'd hate to have seen that.So yes I've cut on it,and did some mods to it.I still feel as if I saved it.

Ron

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Mustang is just lowly Falcon inside the most beautiful body. It sure does need some improvements so that it can driven like your Mustang should and granny's Falcon shouldn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts