Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, here is one that I KNOW is heresy, but...

I've replaced the front windshield and, after many trials, have it leak free so I really do not want to take it out to solve the following:

I am having that hardest time with the top molding grabbing hold and staying on the corners; it actually does not look like it is curved as much as needed for the window. I actually ruined the first molding set and am now on the second. Here's the heresy part: When I hold it down, it's a fairly nice fit, so has anyone every used a tiny, flush, stainless screw at the corners?

66 mustang. fixing up for fun. new paint and in nice condition, but not for show.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
I have seen a few screws used to attach the trim. I hope the hole you drill doesn't cause a leak.

·
Registered
690 Posts
No about using the screw. As for the moldings, are they OEM (Original Ford) moldings? And, are the clips that hold them in place tight against the window opening. Sometimes guys bend them a little to make it easier to push the moldings on. The issue I've experienced with that is, then they do not hold the moldings down and in place as they should. Make sure your clips are tight and aftermarket moldings may not fit exactly as they should. Also, the after market clips available at NPD and CJ's are a little bit taller than the OEM ones and make the moldings sit a little bit high, at least the ones I ordered recently were.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No about using the screw. As for the moldings, are they OEM (Original Ford) moldings? And, are the clips that hold them in place tight against the window opening. Sometimes guys bend them a little to make it easier to push the moldings on. The issue I've experienced with that is, then they do not hold the moldings down and in place as they should. Make sure your clips are tight and aftermarket moldings may not fit exactly as they should.
Thanks much. no, they are aftermarket. I've been willing to pay more but haven't found a heavy quality. And yes, I did bend the clips so that's probbably contributing to this.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
NOT regular silicone. Use something like PowerGrab that is an actual adhesive before a screw.

·
Registered
36,519 Posts
thanks awhtx. yeah, my concern also. I was going to put some silicon in there.
Gahh!

Never use anything around the windshield other than 3M Glass Bedding Compound. And fill the slot completely!

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
You should have absolutely no problem finding used factory trim for the front windshield. The Hardtop and Fastback both use the same trim on the front. In fact I am sure that all '65-'68 Hardtops and Fastbacks use the same trim. I bet somebody like mustangerbob1, gt350sr or hughnews1 on this forum has a full set. And a quick glance at Fleabay shows lots of it available.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The trim is stainless steel, so it can be polished. I found the repop stuff doesn't fit as well, kinda like everything else, so I'll be getting my original stuff redone to put back on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should have absolutely no problem finding used factory trim for the front windshield. The Hardtop and Fastback both use the same trim on the front. In fact I am sure that all '65-'68 Hardtops and Fastbacks use the same trim. I bet somebody like mustangerbob1, gt350sr or hughnews1 on this forum has a full set. And a quick glance at Fleabay shows lots of it available.
Just found some online and am verifying it's OE. Many thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts