Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive heard different things from different ppl, still early enough to order from summit some new rings, the machine shop suggested plain rings, but what should i get? im going to spend some big bucks on this 302. its goign to get a paxton, hooker super comp headers, shelby intake, 3000 ish stall torque conv. probably 3.50 9" t-lok/ but what are the advantages / disadvantages of moly vs. plasma moly etc. you guys in the forum have been a tremendous help thanks
mark

[email protected]
[color:green]www.ang67must.com</font color=green>

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Check with paxton, they will recommend the type of rings but the series as well.

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just went through this exercise. Do a search on "plasma" and you'll see the thread. The
short answer is that the rings you use depend on the finish of your cylinder walls after they've
been bored and honed. If you're going to have the motor bored and honed, decide which
rings you want to use and then tell the machinist what type of rings you're going with and he'll
finish the cylinders appropriately. According to Total Seal (I asked this same question to their rep),
if you're using chrome-moly or plasma-moly rings, you want the cylinders finished to a 280
grit finish. If you're going with standard cast iron rings, the finish should be between 400 and
500 grit.

I would contact your piston vendor and talk to them about this choice, then when you've chosen
a ring type, call the ring manufacturer and ask about cylinder finishes.

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

1 - 4 of 4 Posts