Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, who all saw Monster Garage on the Discovery Channel last night?

I saw both episodes. In the first one they transformed a Ford Explorer into a garbage truck, complete with hydraulic roof and robotic can dumper. In the second episode they turned a limo into a fire truck. Honest to God the thing shot water 130 feet out of a pop up turret on the back of the limo. And not just a little water either, they had enough pressure and volume to knock one of those big trash dumpsters all the way across a parking lot. Then they got to go put out a fire with it.

I enjoyed the concept. They get a team of fabricators together and give them 7 days and a budget to complete a project. In the fire truck episode, they started with a limo and $3000 bucks and had to figure out how to go from there.

In the 4th episode they turn a Mustang into a lawn mower. Check here for details: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/episode/episode_04.html Hey, at least it's a late model and not a vintage car they're tearing up!)

I give the show a big thumbs up. I still like junkyard wars a lot too, but lately it's seemed so contrived. I mean they just "happen" to find all of this stuff in a junkyard that is absolutely critical for their designs? I don't know. The fireboat episode where both teams pumps completely failed and they ended up putting out their fires with buckets of water was probably the lowest point. If one of the teams would have made a 4 man canoe, they would have won hands down.

In Monster Garage they have longer to work, they can get parts from anywhere as long as they don't go over budget, and the fabricators seem to be a lot more qualified. I thought it was a fun show. Check it out if you get a chance.

Phil

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
i saw the commercial and it looked really good, i missed the show though

G

·
0 Posts
Hey guys, who all saw Monster Garage on the Discovery Channel last night?

I had my ReplayTV record both episodes last night, I'll try and get to them soon. Looks like a lot of fun.

The fireboat episode where both teams pumps completely failed and they ended up putting out their fires with buckets of water was probably the lowest point.

I personally thought the episode where the teams had to build wrecking machines (to tear down a couple of walls) was the lowest. To start with, I really don't like the Miami Gearheads very much. Too much attitude, too little talent. Secondly, both teams failed to build a suitable wrecking machine and ended up driving their trucks straight into the cinderblock walls in order to knock them over.

I'm sure someone had a sore neck after that.

But there are good episodes, too -- I think my favorite episode was the one where they built remote control cars (full size cars, that is) and had a demolition derby. I see from the previews that there's going to be a rehash of that concept in a new episode, hopefully it will be as good as the first.

G

·
0 Posts
Cool show! Wierd but cool. I wish I could buy a 1000 gpm pump for my fire dept as cheap as they got one!

G

·
0 Posts
I planned on going to bed early but ended up watching both episodes. Your right the show is great and a good alternative to Junkyard wars (I caught the last half of the fireboat episode - theres a half hour of my life wasted.) Whats funny is while Monster Garage was on they also had the history channel special on Jesse James and his custom bike shop playing.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The only thing I didn't like was how they got the 20 inch rims for FREE! I mean, yeah, sure its Jesse James, and he knows people, but who is gonna sacrifice a 3000.00 pair of rims, for a 3400.00 Tool kit?!? Not to mention he paid the other guy 500.00...... so right there,basically he still ended up paying 3500.00 for the TOOL KIT!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Those rims were prob. only on the trash truck ford long enough to take the pictures /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Then they got pulled off and mounted to JJ owns truck for hauling his bikes to shows.

G

·
0 Posts
I thought it was more show than go.

I also though that Jesse James probably needs a job.

G

·
0 Posts
jesse james actually builds damn good custom bikes, I enjoyed the show myself, its a keeper.

G

·
0 Posts
I saw both episodes last night, after watching the Motorcycle Mania which featured Jesse James, and both Junk Yard Wars. I agree it is a nice change from Junk Yard Wars, but I'll still watch that too. Can't wait to see what he does to the late model stang tonight.
Dan

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Saw the show. Didn't care for it as it appeared to be 'staged' a little. Additionally, I would prefer the challenges to be more realistic. For instance, the REAL garbage has a requirement to place the can back in an upright position, whereas the challengers explicitly stated that they weren't going to be concerned with that.

It was interesting, but I probably won't 'look' to watch that show. I tuned to the battleship series that was on the History channel. Very interesting....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I enjoyed it. I once saw a show about Jesse James' business and enjoyed it even better. The guys look like they're some real artist. And someone must have some deep pockets to pull Jesse away from his business for a week.

But I keep having the same nagging question through the whole show, "what's the point?"

An Explorer garbage truck?

OK, OK maybe that's the dynamic. I admit I enjoy watching guys with real skills.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I loved it too. I stayed up way too late watching, but I couldn't shut the tv off. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The 'free' rims where a little bit of a stretch. Also, those paint jobs could not have been done over-night. They must have taken a week to do all by themselves.
All in All, I loved it.

Glenn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts