Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few posts this week regarding MC bars with AC cars. A few catalogs say they will only fit non-AC equipped cars. A few posters thought the bar would fit an AC car. I'm in a 68 convertible with factory AC. Anyone know for sure if it will or wont fit?

I'm thinking that with the original 2 piece brace, no MC bar, and no convertible reinforcement plate that bolts between the lower reinforcement pans there might be a little room for improvement. Am I really losing much without the bolt on plate?

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Put it this way, it was put there for a reason. Have never driven a cv without one but it has to make a difference. It is a stiffner so......... Are you running larger exhaust? Maybe TCP cv subrame connectors would help. Re the Monte Carlo bar, am not sure if it fits with an original comp, but on a 65 ran a straight bar with a Sankyo rotary comp. Believe the curved one would work. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my thought about the plate - they must have put it there for a reason. It has the original compressor, but as the AC doesn't blow cold, I'm not sure of the state of the whole AC system. Just a stock single exhaust - some day I'd like to jump to dual. I can't see a reason the PO removed it....

As for subframe connectors, I figure I ought to get the inner rocker rot fixed before I go there....

Thanks for the info!

G

·
0 Posts
probably was not the previous owner who removed it most likely was a mechanic doing exhaust or tranny work then said to heck with putting it back on po probably never new it was gone.

for inner rocker panel repair try J&J Mustang Restoration 540-894-4810

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent - thanks for the clue on the inner rocker repair. I'm stalling as the doors still shut well (even with 3 people in the car) but late at night I can still hear it rust. A man's got to know his limitations <in my best Clint Eastwood voice> and my limitations come up well before inner rocker replacement.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
124 Posts
factory ac/compressor and straight MC bar here - no probs on my 68.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you! I just wanted to see that someone had what I had and it fits....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts