Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom holes do but not the top. I know I have to drill the top 2 holes out on top of the fender but why does the top 2 on the inside of the fender not line up?

·
7,014 Posts
Because your shock towers are closer together than they should be at the top. If you can get the bolts started, you may be able to suck it down.

When I finished putting my montecarlo bar in it was slightly bowed. Within a couple of months, it had straightened out. It actually moved the shock towers back out where they should be.

Phil

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I would recommend getting an alignment after moving your shock towers, as it will change your camber.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm more than a 1/2 inch off. When I drive the car I feel no pull to warrent a front end alignment.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
If the monte carlo bar fits between the shock towers then it is drilled wrong. If it doesn't fit between the shock towers then the shock towers have started to collapse. Someone else on the forum had this problem with a monte carlo bar where the holes did not line up but I forget where they bought theirs from.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Because all the monte carlo bars are designed for the lower holes to go into a pre '69 car. The '69/'70 has the spring cover bolts in a slightly different location.

Don't worry, the bar's not made wrong, nor is your car. I had the same issue with mine, and it was a monte carlo bar that was previously in a '65.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got mine from Texas Mustang and the holes aligned perfectly. I had to jack the car from the crossmember to get it to drop in but the inside holes worked. I've heard of people having theirs 1/2 hole off or more.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Most of Monte Carlo Bars out there NEVER are bolt in deals. If you want to see IMHO the best one out there and serviceable check out Street and Tracks quick removeable verison, very good quailty will it fit better, not really sure but dam site better than what you will find at most vendors.

JMHO

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts