Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a M/C bar for my 1970 coupe last week and received it today. Received no instructions, no mounting nuts or bolts, nothing but the bar itself. I monkeyed around with it to see if I could figure it out; it looks like the top two holes of each bracket need to be drilled and the bottom two are supposed to line up with existing bolts on the inner fender aprons. Problem is, a couple of the holes for the existing bolts don't line up either. Can someone who's done this installation please give me some guidance?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I don't know if the fender / shock tower bolt holes are same in 65-66. But in 65-66 one needs to drill one per side for the front hole in the bracket.

If the bar is not quality, it might have misaligned holes.

How bad the misalignment is?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's just like Arto65fb said ... it's the same on a '70. You have to drill one bolt hole at the top on each side. All the rest will line up with the existing bolts for the coil spring cover. Get one bolt in, then start working on the other side. You'll need the biggest, baddest screw driver you can get your hands on to pry and pry to get it all lined up. The fenders, after 35 years are amazingly out of alignment. They'll line up eventually, but it will likely take some work (mine sure did).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A word of advice to others.

I ordered an MC bar from Matt at Ponderosa Mustang. I had heard all the horror stories about quality and fit.

Matt told me that the chrome bar would be $9 more than the web site said as he had gone to a U.S. supplier instead of continuing to battle the quality problems with the imports.

When I received it, the fit was excellent and it had chrome bolts for the installation. I drilled the two holes on the top side of the apron (always use a punch to start the drill) and had it installed w/i 20 minutes. A few weeks later I ordered the export brace and again was pleased with the quality and fit.

I guess if your stang really does have saggy shock towers and such, nothing will fit first time, but I believe that a lot of what we hear about MC bars and export braces (horror stories) is related to the poor quality import pieces.

Just my $.02

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bar drops right in and the one hole (each side) on the inner aprons line up correctly with the existing fender bolts. So I think I'm getting the bar in the correct position. The remaining hole on the m/c bar bracket is not aligned with the existing bolt, so the holes are misaligned.

The bar is not a quality piece, it's hollow and not very stiff. Additionally, it appears that one of the brackets needs to be notched to clear the fender. What did I expect for 20 bucks, eh?

On the positive side, it appears that my shock towers are not sagging!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts