Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for installing a Monte Carlo bar? Bought one from a reputable dealer, not a cheapo repro. Doesn't seem all that difficult. But when I went to remove sheet metal bolts in front fender (right in front of shock towers), the MC bar holes don't line up. Close enough to make it obvious where it is supposed to go. But nowhere near aligned up to be able to install the MC bar. At least 1/4" off or more.

I assumed this thing just bolted on. Even looked at a pic of a Shelby with MC bar installed. What am I missing? Mine is a 64.5, I assume not different from a normal 65-66?

Mike
mgmaestas

G

·
0 Posts
Does it drop into place or does it look like it needs some convincing to get there? A BFH heps in minor cases but if not, I've heard jacking up the car on the crossmember and letting it sit for a few minutes will relax the shock towers enough to get the bar in. Otherwise I've seen a bottlejack with a 2x4 (carb removed) between the shocktowers help add some space. Slim chance that since it s a 64.5 that the holes aren't quite the same as the rest of the mustangs. Something a dremel or drill could fix after checking the other probs out first.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
some of the holes will not line up. a few of mine did not either. had to break out the drill, and make new ones. no problem., just a little time... and yeah, the BFH came in handy . i didnt have to jack it up or do any of the such ..and it looks shhhweet

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I had to drill two holes, one at the top and one at the upper rear on the side plates. The back edge of the side plates run along the seam where the inner fender joins the shock tower.
Dave

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mine had no "top holes" in the car. I had to drill those.

But mine did fit (and have proper holes) on the "sides", aka, the vertical portion of the engine compartment wall. After I got the towers spread apart, I got them lined up and bolted up. But the "coaxing" was a little difficult.

Get one side in loose, and then try and HUGE phillips screwdriver. Use the screw driver to line up one hole, and have the other bolt ready to go in the other hole.

you need to search for help on installation ... I used a rigged up "spreader", but my life was in risk most of the time. I kept the hood almost all the way closed, that way, I'd only loose a finger, not an eye or worse.

G

·
0 Posts
Do you have an export brace installed? If it fits, I would hesitate to use much force to make the monte carlo bar fit. I ran into the same thing, where the monte carlo bar I bought seemed way too long, and the holes would not align even if it did fit. Since my export brace fit perfectly, I ordered another bar from a different supplier (first verifying that it was made in USA, not Taiwan). The new bar fit perfectly, without having to resort to BFHs, crow bars, or 2x4s. Just a caution.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad I didn't resort to a BFH or other brute force means. Took it back to shop that sold it to me, turns out they sold me a 67-68 instead of a 64-66.

Thanks to all that responded.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts