Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a Monte Carlo bar in my '66 289 4v GT coup but I'm curious what the engine bay dimension should be, say just ahead of the shock towers. How do I know if I need one?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
We all could probably benefit from one, to correct the wrong, or keep it right. Most have to jack the car and let it settle out a while for one to be installed, after 50+ years of setting inward.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Exactly. Both the Monte Carlo bar and export brace should have been standard equipment.
The export brace was standard if you lived outside the US.... Hence the term Export. Common even today with US cars getting better stuff when sold overseas. LOMLs airport beater car is a PT cruiser. Every export one got a cabin filter. They were not even available on US models as you had t buy a kit to add it...

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I started with a straight, then, eventually purchased a curved. I found it was easier to little with the distributor . For as much aggressive curve caring I do, the curved has served me well for 15 + years. If you still need this dimensions, let us know, Whether curved or straight, your engine compartment frame will be better served with one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I'm interested in the dimension from the bend at the top of the inner fender to the opposite engine bay side, just ahead of the shock towers. Someone please measure that after having installed a Monte Carlo bar. I won't offer an opinion on a curved or straight bar other than how often have you observed a highway bridge supported by a kinked column?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Torsion rods, (anti-)sway bars, Mercury bars, hair pins...haha
I have a straight one to mount in one of my cars and just haven't done it. I wasn't very pleased with the appearance of the weld on the "best" quality one so, it's probably gonna get modified...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have a curved one in mine. My understanding is that they were used for the engines with the dual quads so they'd get around the air cleaner. Export brace and the bar, straight or curved, really helps with the front end. I know there are a lot of opinions about the curved ones being useless, but I disagree. Granted the straight ones are stiffer, but the curved ones are still better than nothing, and I like the access to the distributor cap.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I'm showing 40-1/4" between the towers, just in front of the shock towers.. This is taken from my '65 CVT.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats exactly what I measure on my 66 without ever having had the bar installed. I can see the bar preventing issues yet to come. Thank you Kenash.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Thats exactly what I measure on my 66 without ever having had the bar installed. I can see the bar preventing issues yet to come. Thank you Kenash.
Good for you. Our 1st Gen. cars should be the same. Adding a bar is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
LOL! Ginger or Mary Ann?
DEFINITELY Mary Ann.
Some marry for love, some for money, some for sex. I married a beautiful country brunette for ALL THREE !!!
She even listens to me ramble about and collect Mustangs...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Installed a MC bar, EB, and freshended up the anti-sway bar in my '65. Made a world of difference.

Didn't have to worry about sag when I installed the MC bar and EB. I was lucky.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts