Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That’s good stuff...
Thanks Patrick.

That is my plan too. Thanks all for the dimension I asked for and esential to fabricating my brace. I'm going to try to fit a straight Monte Carlo brace to clear both the air filter and distributor.
Just make sure the motor is in its final resting place. I didn't have mine in the proper position for the shaker to fit, so I had to redo the fender brackets.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I can see a hemi joint ends being of some value especially if they had right and left hand thread so turning the bar would spread the fenders. It would make removal and reinstall easier.
That’s exactly why and what I did for my wife’s 66... https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/inline-six-monte-carlo-bar.1148206/#post-10062320

Using heims for a Monte Carlo bar build is fine, the export brace I am not so sure. I don’t know how to quantify increasing stiffness in the shock tower to firewall area without modeling the entire chassis in 3D. I recently installed a one piece export brace on my 67 that is already heavily modified and stiffened, but I didn’t notice any changes. But adding a MC bar to my wife’s slightly modified 66 made a very noticeable change.

OP, whether you buy an off the shelf bar or build your own using gold plated heim joints, it’s well worth it to get something to keep those shock towers from trying to slap the engine.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I can see a hemi joint ends being of some value especially if they had right and left hand thread so turning the bar would spread the fenders. It would make removal and reinstall easier.
Yes they are. One can buy the centerlink bar and bar ends from Speedway that work exactly that way. If I need to pull my distributor I can pull 2 pins and have the bar out in seconds with no tools.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If it’s flexing or moving it isn’t adding anything other than weight. I’m really not trying to be an ass or argumentative towards you or anyone else for that matter, but this topic seems to be incorrectly discussed over and over and over.
There are plenty of engineers here that can confirm that pinned joints are just fine in a triangulated structure, myself included. Here are a few examples: Truss structures .You will note that one of the last pictures shows "Calgary Water" with a truss that has welded end connections BUT is specifically listed that the end connections were designed to act as "hinge connections". How is that possible as they are welded? It is possible because the engineer does not rely on that joint to resist any rotation. The weld is merely to hold the end in position...exactly like the end on a Monte Carlo bar.

Total Control, Global West and Street or Track seem to concur.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Notice, it’s also attached with heim joints. Intended rigid structural components should not have moving parts. It’s like the guy who argued a month or so ago for a heim joint roll cage. If it was viable, it would be prominent. How many have you seen? NASCAR. NASA. FIA. SCCA. Do any of these organizations allow this?
Create a triangle with 3 pinned joints. Please tell me what moves. Nothing until one of the members fail or one of the pins fail.

I standby my statement of a month or so ago that a roll cage "could" be designed with pinned connections, but that they would be heavier and more expensive than the welds. It was stated from an engineering perspective and not from a sanctioning body rules perspective.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Why use a rod end when a clevis does the job at half or one third the cost? As often as I've removed it, I can't imagine having a fully welded bar for any perceived additional strength that most can't feel. View attachment 739675
How do you get the swagged end appearance? Is it a tapered stub, threaded internally and welded on the end of the tube? It looks great.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I use threaded tube ends. They're OD tube specific, and made for the ID of the tube you use. Blunt nose are also available.
20200119_185123.png

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It's Bob, and you're welcome.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts