Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly having to get the alignment redone on the mustang (and NO its not because of my driving!) All the components are new under there so that rules out a few things.

It was suggested to me that this may have been a common problem with fords and that the Monte Carlo Bar could be a big help in this matter.

Is this correct? How exactly will the Bar aid in the alignment?
And finally does it really work? Thanks for all your imput!

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
The MC bar and Export brace both work to lock the shock towers in place and generally firm up the front end. Yes, they do work.

If the towers are shifting enough to alter your alignment frequently then you had best look for fractures too. It would be a bad thing to have the shock towers part company with your car.

The MC bar and Export brace will help keep things firm, which should help alignment, but it really depends on what is changing. Is it camber? Is it caster? Or is it toe-in/toe-out?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You DO have the bolt on crossmember under the engine in place, don't you?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
The MC bar and Export Brace will not help with toe. They are a good thing in general though.

There is supposed to be a brace that bolts up under the engine which ties the frame rails together. If this is missing your toe will adjust itself regularly. The wheels will eventually splay badly and you won't be able to adjust it back. Is your crossmember in place?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
When I brought my '66 home, one the bolts holding the lower cross member was missing. It was not obvious to me until I pulled the motor and was detailing the engine compartment. Worth a look. IMHO, the MC bar and Export brace are worth the effort plus I just like to look and their not expensive for the plain ones.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Another thought, are your strut rod bushings OK? How about your ball Joints? All bolts tight? All of the above are common ware items. Goodluck

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just a thought-are the tie-rod end sleeves tightened enough? Also another couple of shots in the dark, but wheel bearings? How about tire balance? This may sound a little off balance, but is it a competent shop? Maybe they are taking the steering wheel off and straightening that out instead of actually doing the alignment-this happened to me at a major tire chain here in the NE area...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts