Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Referring back to my earlier post today, I am having problems fitting a monte carlo bar to my car, a 1970 coupe. I measured the center-to-center distance between the existing bolts on the inner fender; they measured 2 5/8". The holes on the M/C bar bracket measured 3".

I called the supplier to check if I received the proper bar for 1970 model year; the rep said the 3" was the correct distance for 1970. Hmm, so I asked him what the 67-68 bars measured. He replied 2 5/8".

Prior to ordering this thing, I was careful to order a bar that was specified for 69-70 cars because I've heard of fitment issues, and also because looking through a few venders catalogs I noticed that some offer the same bar for 65-70 cars, some offer a different bar for 65-66 and 67-70 cars, etc. So when I saw a catalog listing for 69-70 cars, I was reasonably comfortable that it would fit. However, it turns out that this vendor lists the same part number for 65-66 Mustangs as for the 69-70, with the 67-68 being different.

I realize that all of these bars are very similar and they can all probably be made to fit; it just irks me that getting the right part need be difficult and you end up having to make fabrications on what should be a five-minute bolt-in. Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
141 Posts
SEND IT BACK. TRY ANOTHER SUPPLIER. SOME ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS. SOME ARE CROOKS. SOME ARE OUTSTANDING. IT'S THE SAME IN ALL BUSINESS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts