Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put on a new monte carlo and it is too big.
Do I force it down? or make it smaller and install?
gordy

·
Registered
19,978 Posts
That's because youre shock towers have sagged inwards. Just jack up the car in the middle to take weight off the spring towers and try again. If that doesn't work, let the car sit for a while.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Body and frame shops have tools to widen and straighten the shock towers and permit the monte carlo bar to be installed. If its far off its best to just take it to a professional shop and let 'em do it. They can also advise you if more work is needed. In a lot of cars, the frame rails have begun to deteriorate from corrosion permitting the shock towers to start their melt...

G

·
0 Posts
Mustangs Plus advises in their catalog that you might be able to get it in there by jacking up one side of the car.

Mine went in without a problem, so I can't attest to whether this works or not.

·
6,855 Posts
I was able to use the mounting screws on mine to pull it down. It actually created enough force to bow the bar. This is what it looked like the night I installed it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC21008.JPG

I'd guess that my shock towers were somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" too close together. The interesting thing is, the bar is completely straight now and even closer to the air cleaner. I'm not sure how long it took to spring the shock towers back to their proper position, but it did it.

Good Luck with your installation. Try jacking it up under the engine crossmember, let it sit overnight, and see if that allows the fenders to move apart a bit.

Phil

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i posted some information earlier about this install. i used a contraption consisting of a bar of a jack and a coil spring compressor tool to spread the towers apart. do a search for "coil spring bar sloan" and you might find it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts