Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Im sure that this has been discussed beforem but I was wondering what kind of improvements can I expect from adding a Monte Carlo bar to my Stang.

The Stang dosent have any other suspension mods than the 1" lowering coils from Mustang Unlimited.
Will the improvement in handling be noticable? Will it pay off to add one, or do I need more handling components (Export Brace et cetera) in order to feel a difference? I am a bit hesistant about installing one, as this requires the drilling of a bunch of holes... . So I want to make sure that it actually is worth it.

As far as I recall, the majority of you guys prefer the straight bars in terms of stiffness (compared to the curved ones)

Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Curved one should be fine if you prefer that look. They were originally made to fit around the oval Cobra air cleaner.

If you're THAT nervous about drilling the holes, it should be very cheap to get a shop to do it for you. Just be sure to tell/show them exactly what you want.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no, Im not that nervous about drilling the holes. I think even I would be able to do that! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Its rather that I will add holes to the rather original car. I mean once they are there, theres no easy way back. Sure, the holes could be welded and painted, but it would take some effort. I just want to make sure that the bar is actually an improvement to the car. I would hate to install it, without getting much out of it... .

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Well, for what it's worth from someone who has neither, if you're going to add one thing, do the export brace first. And to do that right, you should remove the existing brace "stubs" on the shock towers, and weld in the extra support at the cowl.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
IMHO the export brace should be used in conjunction with the MC bar. The export brace keeps the tower from flexing in front/rear/side directions while the MC bar only supports the lateral movement.

Get both.

Will you feel a difference? You might not, but the car will.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
three of four holes in the bar should line up with pre-drilled holes.

Just don't use the 4th bolt /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
We installed Monte Carlo bars on both of our 69's. The SportsRoof has the factory bracing and the convertible has an export brace. Both cars demonstrated a noticable improvement in cornering and directional stability in high speed freeway curves. No more wandering. Unless 66's are considerably different from 69's you should only need to drill two additional holes to mount the Monte Carlo. I would do the export brace at the same time or first, however.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I cannot say how much of it is the monte carlo bar, but there's not a snow ball's chance in hell, that my daughter's '69 with stock suspension could come close to keeping up with my '66 with monte carlo bar (curved), export brace 620 springs, and 1" sway bar, on curvey roads. The handling differences between the 2 are night and day.

G

·
0 Posts
I've gotta jump in and say that on a 65/66, you will definitely notice the added stiffness from the monte carlo bar. It's only one additional hole per side, and at $35 or so it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice, guys!
I thought about the Export Brace as well, but removing the stubs on the shock towers? Ummm, Im not sure that I would like that. As far as I remember from a recent post, it is possible to just add the brace and keep the shock towers/stubs as they are. I know that some people have said that this will look ugly, but at least this mod is reversible?!

One thing I have to add is, that I am afraid that too many mods on my car, might cost me my historicregistration. In other words, if some smartass Inspector sees it, and thinks its not right/dosent like the mods, he might not see it as a car in a good historic conditon. And if I lose my historic registration, this would mean that my annual car tax would be like 6 times as high as it is (from $200 to around $1200/year)... . Obviously I dont want that, so Im a bit hesistant with obvious mods, Or too much of them, that is. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

So, where can I find good pictures of the Export Brace, mounted on the shock towers. Idlike to get an better idea on how the finished mod looks like.

Also, do the regular MC Bars do, or are the adjustable (?) TCP (?) ones, like the ones on Kent`s KK Pony, the way to go?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, another question. I think I would like to use a straight bar, if I decide to actually go for it. Since most of the screw holes on the bar use the screws that are alredy on the car, should I check in advance if it actually clears my aircleaner/housing? The one that Im running is one of those Ford Motorsport ones. I dont really have the diameter handy, but its a 3" element. I suppose since this is a rather common (stock?) size, the straight MC bar should fit?!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
My understanding is that an export brace would have been available from the Ford parts department in 1966. If you requested that they install it, they would have removed the shock tower stubs to do it.

It's not easily reversable, true, but it's vintage correct.

Steve

·
Registered
553 Posts
in my state of Kentucky the only requirement for a historic registration is that the car be older than 25years. whatever modifications are made have no effect, i suppose it must be different over there in Germany.

if you do decide to get a MC bar remember thay can be a little stubborn to get in between the shock towers. it helps to jack the car up slightly in the front, using the front crossmember. this will allow you to slip it in and bolt it up. i wish the previous owner of my car had known that, it looks like he ended up bending the mounting flanges while forcing the bar in. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
you won't lose your histroic registration for mods that make the car safer and were available at the time the car was produced.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, Im not so sure about that. The Inspectors here, can be real tighta..es.
But I guess thats just the same everywhere.

To meet the requirements of a "classic" car here, the car has to be older than 30 years (I think), and to be in a good original condition. I think even the fact that I have a bunch of new parts on my car, might cause them to raise an eyebrow. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyway, the historic registration is one reason for me to be hesistant. The other reason is that I dont want too many (noticable) changes on my Stang. Sure, it is a restomod, and yes I want (handling) improvements.
But Im a bit scared of making it look too modern/dressed up.

Thats why I wanted to re-assure myself that these parts will really get me a good amount of improved handling. Im pretty weird, I know...! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Another thought just struck me, Nick. If you had purchased a 1966 German Mustang (T5), wouldn't it have had an export brace?

Steve

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
The export brace is called an export brace because cars exported to Europe were fitted with the one piece brace to meet the driving requirements of the time. Also, european drivers didn't find the handling acceptable back in 65 without the heavier brace. I think a case could be made for that being more "historical" than the two piece american style braces.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, if the export brace was on all exported Mustangs, yes, you are probably right.
But after all its not an T5. I think what you were trying to point out is, that I could prove (to the tech. Inspectors) that this part is a piece of historic equipment?! Right?
Good thought. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Right! I'm guessing that your average inspector, if he's familiar at all with the car, sees T5's which have the brace in place!

Also, the black (rather than chrome) pieces are bound to look more "authentic", but that's your call.

Steve

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, thats true. I dont think the inspectors have much/any knowlegde about Mustangs/classic american cars in general (unless they are into them themselves). So I should be safe. And yes, I think I would prefer black anyway. Chrome parts will always look like dress up parts, rather than original equipment! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Could anyone direct me to pictures of an (installed) Export brace please? Id like to see a detail shot of the shock towers, to get an idea of the modifications that are involved with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts