Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the suspension on my fastback a while ago. Still not drivable but it is getting there! Anyway, I put the eurothane (sp?) bushings in the strut rod mounts. Since then I've read some pretty horrific stories about how thes cause failure in the rod and cause the car to loose control, some times with fatal consequences. Yesterday I ordered the adjustable strut rods from Street or Track to solve my problem. Question is, can sell my eurothane bushings with good conscience? Or should I just shelf them?

Opinions please.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If parts vendors are still selling them I'd say ok. If they are no longer being sold because of safety issues - the noble thing to do would be to dump them. My two cents.
Dave

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I think you should have labeled your question a "economic" question and not a "moral" question. If you took them off because you feared for your own safety and were worried that they would "cause failure in the rod and cause the car to loose control, some times with fatal consequences" then the "MORAL" question already answers itself.

If you took then off for the above stated reason and are even considering selling them to recover the few dollars that they cost, then it is purely an economic question and morals has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Being one that just recently experienced the failure of my driver's side strut rod, I would encourage you to not pass those potentially dangerous consequences off on someone else. Fortunately for my son (who was driving at the time of the failure), the strut snapped in a 10 mph corner. The strut sheared right at the back of the bushing. This occurred with less than 1000 miles driven since the bushing install.

NPD clearly states they will no longer sell these bushings for this application. I wish they had decided that sooner. ::

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
If anything happened, could you live with yourself?
Throw them out ::

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I must have missed those posts about the problem. Can someone point me to the thread(s) that talks about this problem?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't believe you even asked the question. IMO anything less then $25 is not even worth my time with shipping, (not sure what they would sell for) and if there is even a question about safety, in the trash they go.

Lstar

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I do a lot of chassis work here,and if a customer specifies urethane bushings on the struts,I refuse the job,period.To hell with the money lost,it's a small price for peace of mind...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't worried about the couple dollars, probably would have given them to someone local. Just wanted an opinion and I got it. I guess its garbage time for them.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I threw mine (included in a set) in the garbage and put rubber units on. If a part doesn't give, other things will break. This applies in this situation. Advice? Dump 'em. Speaking for myself, I'd feel horrible if someone got hurt with a part I gave them......now, I drive a streeter; mmaybe it is different with a track car, but I don't really thing so.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Get MOOG brand replacement bushings.Other than stepping up to an aftermarket strut rod like the street or track,global west,etc.,this is the best bang for your buck.They have internal metal bracing and are made of a high durometer(very hard)rubber,they're the best I know of and always get good results using them...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts