Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the service valves need to be turned all the way clockwise or all the way counter-clockwise?--I replaced the condensor,dryer and both service valves--I pulled 28 inches of vacuum for 60 minutes--After turning off the pump after 5 minutes I noticed that I wasn't holding a vacuum--I went and got some stop leak and conditioner--As I was putting it all back together I replaced every O-ring that I came across as I was breaking connections--I added both cans of stop leak(part 1 and 2) and 2 cans(4 oz each) of oil charge--The problem is that when I hooked up the cans of freon it didn't seem to pull--Any body gotta clue--There was Coors involved but not during assembly--

·
Registered
456 Posts
The service valves are closed when they are all the way out. To charge they need to be threaded in. If your compressor was not engauged or operating it may not accept freon. In some cases I've had to jump the cycle switch, (if it has one)or hot wire the compressor "on" to accept gas. Have fun, Bill Las Vegas Nevada P.S. I hope the coors was not what you were trying to put into the ac system!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I would NEVER waste Coors by putting in my car--As soon as I turned the AC to max and the blower to full the center of the compressor clutch started turning--And what is really confusing me is that both cans of stop leak and both cans of oil charge seemed to be accepted by the car--Do you know if there is a dedicated tool to turn the stem on the service valves?--using a 1/4 inch open wrench is tiring--I was kinda hoping that there was a ratcheting "dogbone" wrench for this--I looked at Pep boys and in my catalogs and didn't see one--I'm going back outside to try the valves once again in the full "in" modenb

·
Registered
456 Posts
YES! There is a tool exactly as you describe. I have one and got it years ago from Snap-On. I don't think you'll find it at a pep-boys. It would be a slow moving item. The tool trucks, [censored], or poss a napa auto part store may have one.
Just guessing, you may have a low r-12 source your charging from. No push left in the bottle? Considering everything else, except the coors went in ok. Sorry I can't be of more help. Bill, Las Vegas Nevada

·
Registered
112 Posts
The tool I use is the valve handle for my gauges. Just the same. ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts