Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I've reviewed the Dodgestang chart of tire/wheel combo's and still walk away confused enough not knowing what I should get.
I guess the most confusing part is the backspacing choices.
Up front we have the Shelby drop, a pair of 620 springs and stock disc brakes. Currently the back is 5 leaf standard eye, which looks too high so I foresee changing them to probably 5 leaf mideye, after we install the new wheels.

We want Torq Thrust D wheels and I'm leaning towards 15x7 with 215 60 15 BFG T/A tires. Looking at the specs for the Torq Thrust rims, they seem to come stock with 3.75 back spacing but looking at Dodgestang's chart, keeping in mind we have discs and Shelby, it seems to indicate we would need 4 or 4.5 backspace. How does one go from 3.75 to 4.5?

I don't want and can't afford to make a mistake and order blindly. I'd rather go conservatively and safe versus radical and chancy.

Looking at what we have and what I'd like to have, do you foresee some hidden problems waiting to show their little frickin' ugly heads? Do I need to go and sit on Midlife's front lawn and chant with his flamingo's in order to see a vision?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I say go for some 20's and spinners... :biggrin: :winkgrin: oops!! Sorry, that was my 6 year old talking.. :joker:

·
Registered
522 Posts
We want Torq Thrust D wheels and I'm leaning towards 15x7 with 215 60 15 BFG T/A tires. Looking at the specs for the Torq Thrust rims, they seem to come stock with 3.75 back spacing but looking at Dodgestang's chart, keeping in mind we have discs and Shelby, it seems to indicate we would need 4 or 4.5 backspace. How does one go from 3.75 to 4.5?
As I understand, you can only take away backspace by using a spacer, never add it. The only way to increase your backspace is to buy a wheel with it. Hopefully someone can weigh in with where they got their wheels, if they have TT-Ds in a 4.5 B/S.
Since you are looking at 15" rims and tires, you probably would not have any issues with a 3.75" backspace. I put 15" magnum 500s (4" BS) with 225/60/15 on the front of my 67 fastback and it fit just fine.
Unfortunately I cant comment on what the stance would look like on a 65, but it would probably be pretty wide.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
yes, you need to buy wheels with more backspacing than that, although... with 7 inch wide wheels you may be able to get by with backspacing in the 3.x range.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
There's plenty of people running torque thrusts with that backspacing. I'm running 15 x 7.5 wheels with 3-5/8" backspacing, and have no trouble with them, although I wouldn't say this is the best combo to use either.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm almost positive the 3.75 BS on the TTDs will be fine, although a 205/60/15 up front will definitely be a safer fit. I think this is the combo that Johnpro is running.

If you are sold on 4.5 BS, and want the TTD look, Vintage Wheel Works V45 has a 4.5 BS in their 16" size. But then you lose clearance between the rim and UCA. It seems that a 15" wheel puts the inner rim below the UCA, 17" wheel puts it above it, and a 16" wheel puts it about dead even.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey, I'm running that exact combination on my '66. I've just a little rubbing on my driver's side fender which is a repro...It's only if I'm turning left and hitting a bump at the same time. I need to roll it just a little more and I think I'll be fine. Right now I'm running stock suspension, but planning on new springs, shelby drop and some other mods very soon.

The TT D's are one piece construction I think, and that's why you don't have all the choices you do with TTII's...

Good Luck,
::

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
With 215's the TTD's will tuck nicely under the car with 3.75" backspacing. That is the same size wheel I have on mine and with 235's in the rear and 215's in front I have no clearance issues.

The only thing I would do is actually go with a 16 x 8 wheel to better fill up the wheel well. :wall:

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd rather go 3.75" TTD's than have to find other wheels that offer 4+. Yes Eric, I'm going with

newstalgia

Best price and free shipping.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Good choice on Newstalgia. David Coker was a real good guy to work with.

Also - I'm pretty sure that you can get custome backspacing for just about any wheel as long as you're willing to pay for it!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I can't really advise of the 15 x 7, 215/60 questions. But two cents worth is that a quarter inch or so of too little BS can be cured with the fender roll, up to 1.5" or so of too much is cured with spacers.

Bonus two cents about the leaf springs: a second set may fit no better than what you have now. I advise either to do the upside down leaf trick, like this:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/9461/spring_middle_r.jpg

or go to a spring shop and get them to commit to working with you on ride height and have them fab a set.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you can get custome backspacing for just about any wheel as long as you're willing to pay for it!
Not true with TTD's. As mentioned previously, they are single piece wheel, so there are no options for backspacing. You'd have to make a custom mold. :horror:

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That reminds me ... I need to have Dodgestang update the entries I submitted since I finally rolled the lips on both my '66 and my '69.

I have 620# 1" lowered front springs, 4.5 leaf mid eyes on the back. I have 15x7 TTD's all the way around and 205/60's in front and 225/60's in back. With a TTD and anything wider than a 215 (maybe wider than a 205), you're going to have to either roll the lips or live with an occasional rub. I got sick of hitting the tires and finally rolled my lips a couple weeks ago. It is realy nice to see a dip in the road in front of me and not cringe. :lol:

If you'd like to road trip it up here, we can mount my TTD's on your car and see how you like them. We could also mount my 15x8 Cragars on there (275/50's in the back) and laugh at the low rider look :rofl:

BTW, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. When people tell you "such and such fits fine on my '67", doesn't mean anything as far as fitment on a '65/'66.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow. That site listing TTD's at $155 Makes my wallet feel Reeeeeal empty after looking at my 17x8 TT II's - Then again, I love the look of the 17's.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh By the way, I Love your truck. Im building a 55 1/2 Task force now. Major overhaul. Lots of fun

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I already know you're interest in '55 Chevy trucks. You're ok in my books.
Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts