Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the stang is having more electrical problems. First of all, every time the car is shut off, the radio resets itself, so i loose all the channels I have. It is an aftermarket radio, I belive its called the Jen100 in the Paddock catalog. Second, every once in a while, the turn signals go and brake lights go out. Sometime the ones on the hood work, but not the ones in the tail light. Also, when turn signals go out, lights under instrument panel and shifter plate go out, but counsle light still works? :: I'm totally confused, could someone with more electrical knowledge then me help me out? Thanks in advance.

Travis

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
For the radio, it sounds like the wire that is supposed to be constantly hot, isn't. When my dad and I were putting my new radio in, I got how that part worked. The wire that keeps the memory, time and presets and whatnot, has to be hot all the time. If your radio resets every time you turn the power off, then it isn't. You have to go in with a voltmeter, and find out where the wire is that is constantly has power, even when the key isn't in. We had to get that wire setup with the new radio, and the plain power one too. The PO had the radio power wired into the tach wiring, and we decided to change it to something better. The first time, we unknowingly wired it into the heater wiring. It was working, but then my dad turned the fan off, and the radio went out. We ended up using the wiper wiring, and there have been no problems. That last part shouldn't matter to you, as long as your radio works when the car is running, or the key is in the accessory position.

P.S. Please remember that I really only handed my dad the tools, and observed what he was doing, and asked what it was all about. I am in no way an expert on this subject, so I could easily be mistaken. This was just my opinion on the problem after a few personal observations.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Your radio has an "always hot" wire that you obviously have connected to a switched source. That's easy to fix.

Your brake/turnsignal, underdash, and dash lights is more difficult to diagnose. Because it is intermittent, it would seem to be a loose connection or partially broken wire that occaisionally interrupts the circuit. Don't think it is a short as you are not blowing fuses. I don't know about 67, but 65-66 there are different circuits for turn signal, interior lights, etc. The console is also a separate circuit. Best bet next time it happens is to check voltage from battery back with a voltmeter or test light. When you lose the power you've found the problem.

You will definitely need the circuit diagrams. With these cars they are definitely worth the 12 bucks or so. Plus, if you search hard enough you will find them on the net. I think it was Kent (kketell) that had them on his site. Might be wrong on that count though.

Good luck.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts