Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was buttoning everything back up today on the shortblock; finished degreeing the cam - installed th fuel pump eccentric and went to torque the cam bolt and it never would hit torque spec but kept turning....

So if you were EVER thinking or using a gear drive set. Run away, run the fug away...

So now I have to buy a replacement cam too...

·
Registered
537 Posts
could that be the wrong bolt, it looks too short like it should have gone into the cam core about another 3/4" of an inch.
good luck with the re-asembly

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
When it rains, it pours. That sucks. Did you ever figure out what happened that cause the failure in the first place? Did the valve train lock up?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolt was not threaded all of the way into the cam in the picture. I was in the process of tightening it and it just kept turning and never felt right.

And the valvetrain seems to be fine. All of the pushrods are good and the rockers are all fine as well.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Jeremy,

Could be worse, I guess - time for a new cam.

How did the rest of the motor look?

I saw you had some P-V interference - valves, guides and pushrods were OK?

What about the bottom end - did you wind up disassembling and cleaning?

Can't wait to see the car back on the road again.

And I agree - run the fug away. I've never liked timing gear sets except for the cool factor. Now I know I'll never use one!

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
70_Fastback said:
The bolt was not threaded all of the way into the cam in the picture. I was in the process of tightening it and it just kept turning and never felt right.

And the valvetrain seems to be fine. All of the pushrods are good and the rockers are all fine as well.

I meant what caused the original timing gear failure? I'm sure the snout on the cam was damaged when you have the timing gear failure.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I actually can't believe you were even going to try and reuse the cam after the ordeal the motor went through.

I hope you pulled the crank, pistons, rods washed it all down and inspected all the bearings.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dodgestang said:
I actually can't believe you were even going to try and reuse the cam after the ordeal the motor went through.

I hope you pulled the crank, pistons, rods washed it all down and inspected all the bearings.
I didn't think the cam would have sustained damage. I thought the gear drive idler would have been the "weak" link and took the brunt of the ordeal. Guess I thought wrong ;)

The entire engine has been tore down to bare block. All bearings looked really good. Plus they only had 300 miles on them - so I'm sticking with them. I ball glazed the cylinders. Got new piston rings, and all new hyd. lifters since they could have been contaminated - and now with the new cam (arriving wednesday) the lifters were a must. New HV oil pump. and a new CompCams magnum double roller, rollerized, timing chain set.

I've also upgraded another component, but I'm not letting the cat out'a the bag yet... But to give a hint - it's recyclable and runs with 2.02 & 1.60s...

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
70_Fastback said:
I've also upgraded another component, but I'm not letting the cat out'a the bag yet... But to give a hint - it's recyclable and runs with 2.02 & 1.60s...
Small block Chevy factory hipo heads? :pirate:

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Grabber70Mach said:
A set of 3V CHI Aluminum heads. :yoho: :thumbsup:
Yeah, for his little [strike]302[/strike]. Wait, I mean 347. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
bob said:
How's YOUR car coming along there, tiger? :D

-bob
It's progressing Bawby...albeit slowly. Should be blasted and primed for body work by the end of the month. <crosses fingers> :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts