Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in another post about the best header to use on a 289 (64.5 coupe), but no one mentioned using 289hp headers. Is it not worth the time? My car is all stock, but I want to add and H pipe and Flowmasters with a good set of headers. Are the try Y's better? Any drawbacks with try Y's? Thanks guys.

·
6,855 Posts
I've never used a set of try-y's but a lot of people have over the years...including Caroll Shelby. It seems to me that WHATEVER kind of headers you install: shorties, longtubes, try-ys or WHO KNOWS WHAT, is going to be so much better than your restrictive log style stock exhaust manifolds that deciding which one is THE BEST isn't really all that important. The exhaust system you describe will make a big difference in you car, regardless of your header selection.

Just figure out what your budget will allow and go for it.

Phil

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that's what I figure. I have so much fun driving the car...it's got a tight motor and I really throughly enjoy the car. It sounds good now, but I figure if I open the exhaust up and add pertronix, a rear sway bar and beef up the front sway bar, it will be exactly as I want it. What size exhaust do you recommend...2 1/2? 3?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts