Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to bring some more life into my car.

I currently have a 302 4v out of a 1974 Maverick. It has been worked on because they where only 2v, and I have an Edelbrock 4v carb on top of it.

I've debated putting in a 351w with fuel injection, but I thought if I could maybe get what I'd like out of the 302 then I could save some head ache. All of this brought upon cause I have to realign the distributer and thought why not add more power, lol.

I have a general idea, but I'm lacking knowing for sure of what I should do. My budget is pretty limited, so the the "just stroke it and add a supercharger" way is out of the question.

I would like to have at least 300hp, something about being under that number just irritates me when it's a muscle car.

The engine is pretty strong, though it does seem to need a while to be warmed up before use, other wise it bogs itself down when I stomp on it. I'm not sure what's doing that.

I have noticed that one of the cylinders tends not to fire when it's at an idle, but goes away with a little gas.

Is it worth going through all the effort to put in new parts, or should I just look into finding a 351w?

Any recommendations of what to do to it? Remember my budget is tight, if I had $1000s to spend I'd just buy something new and already built up.

Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
You have several options but seing as you have no issue with going with different motor why not opt for a late model 5.0 roller motor. There are plenty at the wrecking yard and if you dont want to go EFI getting 300 horse from it should be no prob with a low budget. What is your budget?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking the 5.0 roller might be a good way to go, as long as I can bolt it up to the toploader and use everything else while I'm at it. I'll probably just fix my distributer tomorrow or whenever so I can drive it around in the mean time (nothing worse than really wanting to go for a drive and not being able to) and then put in a 5.0 when I find a good deal.

Any idea what they usually run for? How about particulars to look for?

Thanks

*budget is currently one of those "how far can I stretch $2.15" kinda things... lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
How many miles are on your current block? I would access the current state of your engine by running a compression check, and obvious things. Does it consume oil? burn coolant etc? If the engine checks out, i would then start throwing parts at it. A good, tuned carb and igntion is the base of everything. 600cfm for your 302. Matched with a decent intake, exhaust (headers, h/xpipe etc), ported factory heads with a valve job, and a mild cam is good for 300hp range.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Miles I'm uncertain on, it runs strong and I haven't noticed it burning out much. Looks like a good place to start...

·
Registered
153 Posts
How many miles are on your current block? I would access the current state of your engine by running a compression check, and obvious things. Does it consume oil? burn coolant etc? If the engine checks out, i would then start throwing parts at it. A good, tuned carb and igntion is the base of everything. 600cfm for your 302. Matched with a decent intake, exhaust (headers, h/xpipe etc), ported factory heads with a valve job, and a mild cam is good for 300hp range.
If your current engine is running well, why not convert it to EFI and do a cam swap? What type of exhaust and gearing is in the car now?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts