Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the design a little by eliminating the original 12" cross brace made of angle steel that I mocked up right behind the front rail floor support. Instead, I used a 1/4 inch plate pedastal design that is 12 incjes long that stragles the top of SFC and sticks out 5" on each side and welds to the floor. It is similar to the center brace I fashioned. The factory front floor support is is much wider on the end than the frame connector is on most applications. Many of the SFC (subframe connector) "kits" that you get suggest that you weld them onto the end of the rail, but the end of the rail is pretty flimsy. It really can't offer much support to the SFC without reinforcing the rail end. Also, as many of you know the floor supports on many Stangs get dented and destroyed from jacking the car there. Obviously they are not very strong. To solve both problems I capped the clean rust free floor support with thick angle steel that extended 6 inches past the end of the frame floor support. I first welded the .25"x10"x2" floor brace to the top of the home made SFC. I then welded the SFC to the end of the floor support and welded cross brace to the floor just above where the SFC and floor support meet. The angle steel floor support cap was then welded to the floor support. The corner seam of the angle steel was then split from the end facing the SFC all the way to the floor support, about 6". The "leafs" of the angle steel were then pushed with a bottle jack to gently meet the SFC and then welded. The split seam was then welded and ground with a radius. The finished product is a smooth, but very strong gentle taper from the larger floor support, to the smaller SFC. Not only does it look good, but it is very strong and will not let the SFC twist in any direction.

The center brace was then welded to the floor at the rear of the seat riser on the bottom of the car.

At the rear, another angle steel reinforcement was welded onto the very begining of the rear frame rail along where the front spring shackle is. This angle steel support also welds directly to the rear toque box tying the entire assembly together for added strenght. The spring shackle was also reinforced by welding all of the seams around the shackle support with a solid bead weld. This was then etch primed before the SFC was placed over it for welding. The SFC was then welded to the car in the rear by running a solid bead between the angle steel support weled to the rail The .25"x8"x10" steel floor pad that was previously welded to the SFC before intalling it was then welded to the floor right beneath the rear seat and next to where the rollbar support pad will be welded. These two plates will then be welded together with the floor sandwhiched between them so that the rollbar will be tied directly to the SFC and vica versa. When I am done, this will all of course be primed and seam sealed so that it will hardly be noticeable.

Link to More Pics:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b258/TenHemi/Mustang%20Frame%20Connectors/

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/TenHemi/Mustang%20Frame%20Connectors/555306.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great job! I bet you'll feel a difference with those!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts