Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the class is going pretty well, I have spent the past three weeks focusing on oxyacetylene welding and have managed to be able to butt weld, lat weld, and corner weld relatively well. Tonight I focused on controlling the heat a bit more so that less warping occurred. I found that if I take the job slowly and let each section cool a bit before moving on, then the weld stays just as strong, but less heat damage occurs on the parts being joined.

This past week I was toying with the idea of getting an oxyacetylene setup for my frame repair and floorpan work (yes I think this is some form of welding denial). Tonight I tried MIG for the first time. After one pass of the gun I completely dropped any desire to have an oxy setup. MIG is sooooo much easier, produces cleaner welds, less heat damage, better joints / final product, and multi-pass is possible without cleaning off the slag....

I'm going to have fun with this new skill.... Lucy may be back on the roads by Mid- September if I pick up the finer details of MIG in the next few weeks.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Yeah....Migs the way ta go alright...I'm gonna take a class this winter to "hone" my skills so to speak...can do pretty good with the "hidden" stuff...but, "quarter panel" type skills would be nice! you know, just in case... ;) ::

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Check this out!. I've played around with this Henrob unit, and I gotta say it's incredible! Very clean welds, no warping, fine tuning for any material thickness, and capability to do stainless, aluminum etc. Also, it makes perfect, needle thin cuts through anything (can't do that with a MIG). These units retail for around $350, kinda pricey, but as soon as I can swing a good deal on one I'm planning on buying.

Say, can you do me a favor? Ask your welding instructor about the Henrob unit and let me know what he says. I'd be real curious to hear a professional's opinion.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Thats great Dan, glad you're having fun! Keep the updates coming. I'd really like to take a class like that before starting my next project! ::

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Yeah Dan, had a look at their site and must say I'm impressed ::

Considering that 110v gas shield migs run in the neighborhood of $350.00 - $400.00 for the cheap ones, and Plazma cutters even more (I've been borrowing my friends), and the fact that you probably want to have some torch capabilities now and then (borrowing my other friends), you'd be into allot more $$$ than the price of that unit and a set of regulators.

Was thinking of upgrading to gas shield mig next time I do a car, but now this thing is looking real sweet :)

Ken

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Be sure and post any unbiased opinions you find on these units...I think a lot of VMFers would benefit from a tool like that!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Dan,

I stopped by at their booth while at the Rod show last weekend. I have been shopping for a plasma cutter, but after seing the Henrob in action I'm having second thoughts.
I have a 240V Snap-On mig; I also have a Miller torch set.
But this torch welds better than either. And at the demo the guy cut through 1/2" plate with the Henrob doing intricate line cuts -- even a rectangular sawtooth 1/8" apart. As good as any plasma cutter (thicker actually).
He then proceeded to weld aluminum, do a 1/16" plasma quality cut through 22 gauge sheet metal and then welded same with no distortion.
The weld quality riveled the TIG demo I saw in another building.

I've done floor pans, firewall and lot's of other welding over the last 30 years and nothing touches this puppy.

If you talk to the pros they tend to poo-poo it. I don't think any of them owns one; and they don't like stuff that puts their usage/experience in the back seat.

Best web deal so far is $329 -- I'm going to do finances tonight and see about getting one.
The next floors I put in will be butt welded with almost no visible seams using this guy. I'll be using the mig only for plug welding.

I'll keep you posted.

Bill

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Bill, I've seen the same Henrob demo at several airplane shows (popular with the home builders). At the last show, the guy let me take a swing at it. While I did find it easier to use than a traditional torch, I couldn't get nearly the impressive results he was. However, it was enough to convince me that with a little practice it's an awesome tool.

By the way, there's usually 1 or 2 of these on E-hay, and they typically go for just under $300. This same torch has been marketed under the names "Cobra" and "Dillon", so look for that as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts