Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it was VERY hot today--105 degrees in the garage--Chuck and I made a lot of progress on both our coupes. We're working side by side (or maybe nose to nose as you can see below) on our cars to get them ready for the Grand National. I finished the whole undercarriage today, including restoring and reinstalling the tiedown brackets, paint touchups in the rear, cleaning the rear leaf springs, and cleaning up excess putty around the gas tank. Then, it was time to work in the engine compartment. Chuck and I replaced the exhaust manifold bolts as many were pitted, and while we were at it, swapped in the NOS spark plugs that Charles Turner generously gave me last year. Tomorrow, I'll continue cleaning around the engine, which actually looks pretty darn good right now.

Chuck spent a lot of time under his GT/CS cleaning the front suspension, parking brake parts, and a few other things. We switch back and forth from car to car as needed and help each other as needed. It's the only way to work!

http://www.tucsonpony.com/coupes1.jpg

http://www.tucsonpony.com/coupes2.jpg

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Way to go! 105 degree heat??? Even more impressive a job!

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Yes, they will be driving all the way! ::

Cars will be in an enclosed trailer , but they will be driving the tow vehicles. ::

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only requirement is that the plugs be Autolite, so I don't get any more points for having original plugs. But, it could be that a judge might notice the plugs and would be more favorable to the car because of the effort shown to be original. I've been trying to keep Murphy as original as possible, including changing back a number of items like the plugs. I would never go Thoroughbred due to the outrageous cost that is involved, but I can do pretty good with what I have. Having the correct plugs in there just raises the quality of the car up another notch and that makes me a happy camper. ::

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no, Murphy rides in style in an enclosed trailer. I'll even trailer the car home next weekend to keep it clean (avoiding the dirt road driving that way). However, I will drive the car into place at the show. ;)

It's Trouble that I'll be driving cross-country to the 40th Anniversary show next April in Nashville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts