Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been in the garage for about 3 weeks, I needed a break and I had some other stuff I wanted to do.

My PS pump bracket is either bent or I am missing a spacer. I dont think its a missing spacer, I dont see one in any diagram.

Five bolts hold the PS pump bracket to the engine. Three bolts pass through the AC compressor bracket, through the PS pump bracket and into the head. Two bolts hold the PS pump bracket to the WP. These two bolts go into the aluminum threads on the pump.

When I install the bracket, I have a large gap on one of the holes that line up with the WP, the second hole has a smaller gap.

Im concerned that if I crank down on the bolts to force the bracket into position, I will strip the aluminum threads.

I could remove the PS pump bracket and bend it on a press to close the gap, but then I might screw up the pulley alignment.

Pic 1 shows the gap

Pic 2 is a generic pic of the PS pump bracket. The two holes on the far left are the ones that go into the WP.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Attachments

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,378 Posts
Some of the bolts in the water pump are supposed to be studs. IE, you can fully tighten the water pump down with them then later add on whatever bracket on top of the stud and secure it with a separate nut. So the gap between the water pump and bracket is where the hex-sided (wrenchable) portion of the stud is supposed to be.

Something like this Chevy stud. (First picture I found) Got anything extra like that leftover?

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
I have a bucket o' bolts that I have removed from engines I have torn down. In that bucket are few "washers" that are extra thick and I am sure that those were spacers as you have described. I have noticed that perhaps an engine had an A/C compressor bracket that would overlap a PS bracket. If the engine was going into a car that was not getting A/C but not PS one of these spacers would be inserted in place of the PS bracket.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If everything lines up as far as the pulleys I’d just go get some spacers and use them.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ratlee that is the early 65 WP without the backing plate.

Mine is the later pump with teh backing plate.

Which WP you need is determined by which front cover you have.

I bought a SD WP bolt kit, no studs all bolts. The diagrams I have found only show spacers if it is AC without PS. There is the spacer that goes on the bolt for the AC adjustable idler.

I think my bracket is bent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts