Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, looks like adding power steering is running into more set-backs... I learned that the 67 brake/clutch bracket I just replaced won’t work with the 68 steering column. If I need to buy another bracket, with my luck the existing pedals won’t fit either.

I have a 67 Mustang Fastback (in storage since 1973) --289, 3 speed, currently man brakes/steering all drum

So, I may as well look for the power / disk assembly and add front disks / power brakes at the same time. If this is the direction I will go, what can I expect to search for / buy:

- 68 Mustang / Cougar power disk brake / clutch assembly with pedals
- Brake booster with proportioning valve & new brake lines
- Front disk brake parts: often full sets of Granada type on the auction site.

This project started off with just adding power steering, and appears to be getting more involved.

Your thoughts and suggestions? They are priceless and my decision will be greatly influenced by your response.

Thanks!

Joe, Tokyo Japan

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
If I were starting from scratch, I would avoid the Ford power steering. It is really a power assist rather than true power steering, until 1971, when the power unit was integrated into the steering gearbox. The early Ford setup is prone to leakage and the control valves seem to need adjusting/rebuilding frequently. Plus, if you are adding power steering, you have to change the drag link, which is not made by the aftermarket.

What I would do instead, for about the same money, is add a manual rack and pinion steering unit. I'd check first with Randall's Racks, which has good reports. The flaming river and total control units are available for a 67, but I've heard of fitment problems with flaming river and total control is pricey. The steering effort is less with the rack and pinion. Since you don't have the weight of a big block, you don't need the power steering with the rack and pinion. You could get a matched set of rack and pinion and aftermarket steering column by the same manufacturer. This get's rid of your pedal problems and you can use your current pedals and the pedal support you installed. With rack and pinion, it clear out room in the engine compartment for headers.

As for brakes, I would avoid the Ford parts and go aftermarket with Wildwood or Baer, getting the 4 piston calipers in front, 2 piston calipers in rear, 4-wheel disk set up, with larger rotors in front than in back. I'd get drop spindles at the same time and lower the car about 2 inches. Stainless Steel Brake Corp has disk brakes and power conversions, but their disk brakes are just an application of the thunderbird 1996 or so superbird coupe. Their prices are such that Wildwood would be competitive, but in my opinion a better product. I'd pay the extra money to get the rotors zinc washed, which keeps them from rusting. It not only looks good, but by avoiding rust buildup in the cooling passages, it helps the brakes run cooler.

The steering/brake set up would bring your stang into the 21st century and would be compatible in the event you later went with suspension mods, like coilovers, or increased the engine performance significantly.

just my 2 cents. Always happy to spend someone elses money!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The Mustang is a rather light car, it really doesn't need PS.
In fact the PS makes the car feel like it's floating at highway speeds. The road feel is missing somewhat.
I have PS on my 68 and I plan on installing a Heit bypass valve to reduce the PS boost in an attempt to regain the road feel.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
yeah, i have manual steering and its only hard when i have a drink in my hand and i'm trying to park, if your on any kind of budget, i'd just skip it and worry about the brakes. btw, i just got done putting on the ssbc brakes, definitly sweet. being the idiot i am, i first ordered a kit for a 68 (my year) but knew for a fact the spindles were from a different year but totally forget when i ordered. about 3 weeks and 50 bucks in shippping later, finally got my brakes, now for some new wheels...

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Admitedly the Ford power steering may be antiquated, but it did work and for average driving they work good. I had a 67 and a 68 that I bought and sold that did not have PS. Guess it's a personal thing and a matter of opinion but those cars without the power steering were a b*tch to park and it got old quick. Again, there's no right or wrong, just preference. If you want a rack, believe that Randall may have a power setup. If you have access to a complete 68 setup would just go that route. As for brakes, doubt that you'll be driving competively in Japan so the stock 68 setup would work well. Knowing the distance that you are from the US, realize that you are removed from the market but parts are available. The easier softer way would be to finish up with 68 parts, if possible.There are some V-M parts guys that have what you need re pedal, etc. If you are going to be driving that car in Japan, with wall to wall cars, be aware that the R&P setups require a significant increase in turning radius.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I guess PS comes down to personel preference. I had a 67 notch back through high school and the PS was just fine. Here in Japan where parking lot lines are about 30% smaller, it is a pain to park as it is with a bigger car. The PS will simply make it much easier.

I have already committed myself to doing the conversion; too much money (and time) already spent and the current news is I have less setbacks than initially thought. (My pedals clear the steering column!).

I still have the issue that the 68 steering wheel is a different size than the 67, and I like the original 67 style!

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts