Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 65 running now the ignition won't turn the engine off. I figured out that when i turn the key to start the coil is hot but when i let off the key it gets turned off so i ran a wire from a switched source to the coil and now the key starts the engine but does not turn it off i have to unplug the battery in order to kill the engine. Any ideas on what i could to to make it so the key will turn the engine off?? Thanks

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Have you modified / replace a fair amount of your wiring?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no all of the wiring is new the engine won't stay running until i had that new wire on the coil. I don't understand what is wrong

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried to switch the wires on the starter selnoid and the starter does nothing so those aren't mixed up. I tied to run a wire from the stud comming out of the back of the ignition switch which is dead when the key is off and hooked it to the + side of the coil and it starts fine and will shut off the engine with the key but if it runs for more than a couple of seconds the key does nothing and i have to unplug the battery inorder to shut off the engine. Does anybody know what is wrong with this??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
That center post ties into the voltage regulator, which may be stuck. What's the voltage on the center pin when you turn the key and then remove it? It should be 0 Volts. If it isn't, then something is causing it to be hot, and that's your problem.

Are you sure you didn't tie into the center post of the cigarette lighter? That's hot all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts