Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've done the math. But before revealing the answer let's see what you all think:

Let's say you got transported back to 1966 with $4200 in your pocket (about the going rate for a Shelby GT350 back then). Would you be better off:

A. Buying a GT350 and storing it in a climate controlled room for 35 years and selling it today.

B. Putting the $4200 in a money-market account at a guaranteed 6% annual rate, and cashing out today

So wadayathink?

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
Do great minds think alike or what? I just put a similar question to my calculator a couple of days back. I won't spoil the fun though.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The money in a bank would be a better investment, assuming that there is some expense in keeping up the car (oil, occasional driving, electricity for storage, etc),

BUT,

I'd choose C) Take the transport back to 1966 and use the cash to buy a used 65 fastback, and tour the country! I've always thought that I was born 20 years too late. *G*

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

G

·
0 Posts
If you'ld give me a couple thousand more I could give you a great investment. 65 427 Cobra SC, or a GT 40. If you'll let me have the $6000 in a round 1969, I beleive Bob Bondurant was offered 3 (THREE!) Daytona Coupes from Shelby who was cleaning out his garage. Just one of those cars went on auction a few months ago. The price: over 4 million (it sold)

Bryan

http://home.att.net/~bjw.350/wsb/media/58400/graphic_pub.jpg
69 GT350 4sp
86 5.0 5sp

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It would be best if you can bring it directly to this decade - no need to let it sit and rot for 36 years. Money in an account from back then is fine but you have to file income taxes from back then each year and that could get sticky especially if you have a deadman's Soc Sec number but the guy's alive back then (or maybe they don't reissue but I thought I heard they did).

If you can come back then how about bringing back a box of Ralley Pacs, Autolite 4100s, Voltage and oil gauges for the deluxe interior, and a couple of woodgrain steering wheels.

If you can lift it, maybe a K engine also...

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
LOL - If I was transported back to 1966, I'd probably end up lost in some love-in with three college girls and forget all about the car. Wahoo!

G

·
0 Posts
i too would defanately save up a bit more for that cobra with a 427 side oiler. yuuuummmmm. maybe we should go buy cars right now, store them for 30 years, then sell them. do you think todays cars would really be worth it though? they are all made of plastic!!!!!
64 1/2 D-code

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your WAY better off putting the money in the 6% account, especially if you consider the cost of maintaining that shelby in a climate controlled room for 35 years!

I thought this was interesting, because when guys sit around talking old cars, invariably someone thinks this would have been a killer investment back then. Not so!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

1 - 9 of 9 Posts