Vintage Mustang Forums banner

More Tires and Wheels, but a Ranchero?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  tweet66 
#1 ·
I have been searching around and reading everyone’s opinions about tires and wheels, there is a lot of discussion. I have parts ordered to do some mostly steering improvements but, planning on the Shelby Drop, as well as a brake master cylinder upgrade.

It’s not a Mustang but it does have the heart of a mustang as it is a 1965 Ranchero.
After some additional thought I am going to go ahead and get tires and wheels as well rather than wait until later. Dropping quite a bundle but I think it is best to do what I can now.

I am going pretty conservative with the tire and wheel size I think, 15x7 Cragar SS with BF Goodrich Radial TAs 215/60R15. I mostly just cruise around feeling cool lol, but I do want the vehicle to stay a little better planted (and in my lane) when I am in a knee dragging mood. Currently I have 14x6 wheels with 185/70R14 tires.

This is the first set of wheels I have ever bought, so it took me a good long while to figure out the offset / backspace relationship but I understand now. There is only two spec SS wheels available in a 15x7 so not such a huge decision to be made. One with zero offset and 4” backspacing and the other with +3mm offset and 4 1/8” backspace. I think moving the wheel out with the 4” backspacing makes the most sense, but discussion about that is basically why I started the thread.

I have Granada components hanging out up front but they are in need of refreshing, so the plan is new calipers and a smaller bore master cylinder for the brakes and replacing just about all parts that have a bearing/ball joint in the steering and suspension with new mostly stock parts. It appears the previous owner drilled for the upper a-arm drop, but for some reason didn’t use the holes. I have power steering so we are going with a Borgeson Box and replacing most everything else.

I am also curious about the ride height change due to the Shelby Drop. I suppose it is best to due the planned updates and measure the change in height. Maybe that way I can decide if I should lower the rear a little bit too?

Kinda wordy. :shrug:

Thanks for any input, Frank S.

See less See more
#3 ·
I can only speculate but if a 17x8x4.75 with 225/45/17 can be tucked under Mustang fenders why not on a Falcon
or 16x8x4.5 225/50/16
or 15x7x4.25 215 or 225/60/15

Thanks 2nd 66 for the info.

I really like the look of 17" rims so I have been going back and forth in my head 15 to 17, 17 to 15, just couldn't make up my mind. Of course I am concerned about fitting larger tires in the space I have, but your logic seems pretty appropriate, so I went searching.

I remember the Cragar SS rims from when I was a kid, so that's how I picked those. My Ranchero looks pretty stock from the outside so I couldn't decide if the 17" rims were a good or bad idea. Of course I have a tonneau cover ready to install, but that is okay in my swimming little brain. :shrug:

In my price search on these here inter-webs I found 15x7 Cragar SS wheels for $168 and the 17x7 are $309 ouch. So I can get 15x7 rims with tires for the same price as 17" rims alone. Well I am not extremely cheap, but that's a lot of barley pops. :wink:

So I guess I will go with the 15x7s. Actually kinda curious that I am okay with 15s, as they were probably 14" back in 1965?

Frank S.

#5 ·
Do some comparison shopping. I have new 17x8x4.75 Torque Thrust II wheels with General 235/45/17 tires for my 65 Mustang. Total cost was under $1050 for all four including mounting, balancing and lugnuts. Limited tire choices in the 15's anymore is why I went this route. Good luck, Jim

Attachments

#8 ·
Jim, thanks for the pricing info. The 15x7 Cragar SS wheels with BF Goodrich radial TAs 216/60R15, best price I can find is Discount Tire. Believe me I have been shopping. They don't list a 17x7 or 17x8 as being available in the Cragar.

Where did you get the package you have, if you don't mind me asking? :smile2:

Thanks, Frank S.

#9 ·
Jim, thanks for the pricing info. The 15x7 Cragar SS wheels with BF Goodrich radial TAs 216/60R15, best price I can find is Discount Tire. Believe me I have been shopping. They don't list a 17x7 or 17x8 as being available in the Cragar.
Where did you get the package you have, if you don't mind me asking? :smile2:
Thanks, Frank S.

(They) Discount Tire doesn't list the 17" Cragar rims that is. I have found them but best deal is $283 apiece...

Frank

#11 ·
I have been waiting a long time for new shoes. The result can be seen below. I am excited yet just a bit disappointed in the result. My Ranchero looks very good to me but not quite great.

I have been doing a bunch of research and also started this thread for some advise. Thanks to everyone for the input. I am a relatively "thrifty" guy so dropping a bundle on this was difficult for me.

On the way to the tire store I changed my mind on the wheels. I really wanted the Cragars in the photo, but they were $307 apiece. I was going to get the Torq Thrust II as they are pretty similar but.. My wife Teresa said that I should get the Cragars, she could tell that is what I really wanted. It was about a 30 minute drive and I changed my mind again. Cragar Vintage Series 610C 17x7 with +6mm offset (4 1/4" backspace). To me they look pretty similar to the SS wheel but are solid aluminum not composite with steel rims. The 17x7 SS was only available with -6mm offset (3 3/4 backspace). I was concerned that rubbing issues could be greater with the negative offset. The 610C series is a good bit lighter than the 61C, so that is a positive for suspension action too!!

We had to try a couple of different sizes to get the tires to clear the front of the front fender wheel opening. My lack of experience, despite all the research, came out. We tried 235/50-17 BFGs and talk about sweet looking. I was tickled, I just couldn't get the smile off my face. With the 100 pound 16 year olds they have installing tires, all was good. First turn in the parking lot with Fat Frank driving grruff.

They didn't have anything in stock that was a good compromise, so I went conservative with my order to guarantee the next ones would clear. 225/45-17 as above.

I have most of my front end parts so next week that begins. All new stock-like suspension, steering, and brakes to replace the worn out old. Some upgrades including the Shelby Drop and improved caster setting. From what I have read I can expect about 5/8 inch lower ride height in the front. The small drop in front should improve the way the tires look inside the wheel-well. After all adjustments I can see if I have room for a larger tire. I think 225/50-17s will be my target. I think the taller sidewall of the 235/50s looks best but the 225/50s might actually fit in my space.

Thanks Again, Frank S. :wink:

#12 ·
Feel the same as you do... You should have went with the 15's instead of the 17's.... Would have looked a lot better...better proportions and ride (more tire) too..

You can always trade them years from now for something else I guess...

The car still looks good though..

:eek:)

Tony K.

#13 ·
Hi Frank, I know this post is a few years old, but I'm hoping to seek your wisdom. I've got a 1965 Ranchero 289V8 w/ some Style Steel reproduction wheels (205/70 R14). Do you know the next size up that might work? It's getting difficult to find "performance" tires in R14 and I'm hoping R15 would give me more tire options. I loved Goodyear Eagle GT2's, but those are no mas in my size. thanks! Matt