Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, guys i picked up my 65 mustang . with a totaly rebuilt front end, after droping the car off with specs,
guess what. they lost the final spec sheet, and couldnt provide me with one, then the guy who did the alignment on my car read me the specs from memory, and guess what he had to say. Ive been doing this for 25 years and your specs are way wrong. so i didnt use them. hahahah
now my steering wheel wont return to center after corners. very well anyway. he was like 3-4* + camber? could that be right.. these are the specs i asked for
Caster +2.0
Camber -.5
Toe in 1/16 in

how would this drive.
Camber +3-5* camber +3-5*
caster +2.0 caster +.06
tow 1/16 1/16 in
he said to drive the car for a week or two, and bring it back for adjustment. well..what should i tell these people?

Thanks for all the help.!
ps: the car seems ok ,and does not pull. but now im have no faith that the car even is up to the specs they provided me.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Ask him if he went to a resturant and ordered chicken if the waiter came back with pork and said, I've been doing this for 25 years this is what you really want, how would he like it.

Take it back, talk to the manager....say this is what I asked for, this is what I got, either refund me my money so I can find a shop competant enough to do this right or fix it now.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You know I did a front end alignment on a friends ranger after putting a lowering kit on it. This is totaly different than a late model mustang but I re-aligned the front end buy eye. He took his truck in for a front end alignment to be on the safe side. $40 later they told him that it was off by .01 percent. It's not hard to do it it is just a little time consuming on your end. If you canged the engine or the weight on the front end than it will throw it all off. I would say take it back and tell they guy his 25 years expierence has never bought him a 65 mustang. Do it right or give me my money back so I can have it done right. This car wants to ride the sidewalk after I make a turn. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Shaun (a fellow VMFer) had a similar experience recently: they claimed that "this is as close as we can get it..." and shooed him out the door. It was 10 minutes after closing time by the time they finished up, so I don't know what Shaun's problem was /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif! I mean, come one, how could Shaun expect them to do it right, when it's time to go home? Some people...

Anyway, he called the manager the next day and got the same BS story about it being as close as they could get it. Since he took it to a chain, he called the nearest shop (from the same chain) and took it to them. They did re-align it to the specs he had provided and, since it was a "lifetime alignment" there was no charge!

I'd call and talk to the manager and tell him you want it redone (to heck with another week!) and that you want the final sheet or you're not paying. If you paid cash and they squawk, call the Bureau of Automotive Repair and the Better Business Bureau, your congressperson and, if all else fails, my cousin Tony (he'll know how to deal with them!)... Sorry, but shops that pull this c**p really me off!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I'd be concerned about the wheel not returning to center after corners because it is a safety issue...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I can gaurantee you that a caster reading like that will result in the car pulling severely AWAY from the side with the side with the high caster number!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Bring it someplace else to get it lined up properly. I agree that you can do it yourself if you are inclined to. Get your money back! Try this....return to the establishment and park in an area that is clearly within view of at least one of the employees. Sit there for about 5 minutes and start banging your hands on the steering wheel and swearing a bit. Make sure that you are seen by customers/employees. Go to the trunk and start playing with nothing. If anyone comes near, quickly close the trunk. Enter the establishment and demand that your money be refunded. When the manager stalls, quickly return to your car and reopen the trunk again. Play around with nothing. After a few seconds have passed re-enter the shop and again speak to the manager. "I'm going to ask you once more, nicely, if you will return my money, right now".
This usually works every time.

·
Vendor
5,300 Posts
That's BS. I was told by one shop that they had got it as close as they can. I took it to another shop in the chain and a really nice guy spent 3 hours getting it spot on.

Talk to them and say you want them to have another go. Be nice about it, I was and it got me another 3 hours in the shop for free. Most shops usually warranty the work for a little while. If they won't help, I hope you paid on a credit card, call your card company and stop the payment.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I like dave's idea. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'll have to try that if it ever happens to me. I couldn't stop laughing from reading that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts