Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that in Mustang Monthly that a guy has claimed to have found Jim Morrison's Shelby. I have read numerous stories on this and the rumors as well. I know for a fact he did wreck it as I met his wife awhile back and asked her about the car, she says it was pretty messed up. So, I be curious to see the story when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Jim Morrison's 1967 Shelby GT500 ##939, 4spd, nightmist blue with parchment interior. It had the optional 10 spoke wheels.

http://www.shelbymustang.com/morrison_page/morrison_registration.jpg

Jim Morrison filmed his art film "HWY: An American Pastoral" in 1969 which feature the Shelby. The car was totaled by Jim (wrapped around a telephone pole on Santa Monica Blvd) some time in 1970 certainly prior to his departure for Paris in March 1971. He refused to drive thereafter. The car was scraped (all per the late Danny Sugarman).Any claim to have found the car is fraudulent and complete b.s.

Jim Morrison was never married but did have a common law relationship with Pamela Courson. Courson used the surname 'Morrison' (whether she had Jim's consent to do so is not clear but it is unlikely he cared either way). You did not talk to her because she died of a heroin overdose in 1974. After Courson's death in 1974 the probate court in California decided that she and Morrison had what qualified as a common law marriage and as a result her family controls all of Morrison's estate to this date.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I own the car. When driven in reverse it say's "JIM IS DEAD" lol. I hope they find it. Brett from Shelby Mustang owns an original reg with the VIN. It will be cool if the car wasn't scrapped after all, but my guess is this story will go on.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,022 Posts
I saw Elvis driving it last week to his night shift at Bob Evans'....

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
masergt said:
Jim Morrison was never married but did have a common law relationship with Pamela Courson. Courson used the surname 'Morrison' (whether she had Jim's consent to do so is not clear but it is unlikely he cared either way). You did not talk to her because she died of a heroin overdose in 1974. After Courson's death in 1974 the probate court in California decided that she and Morrison had what qualified as a common law marriage and as a result her family controls all of Morrison's estate to this date.

This is pretty common knowledge if you're a Doors fan.... I'm not sure what the OP thinks he is talking about.

And those registrations could be bought at one time on the Strange Days website.... for like $5000!!!? I think. I can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Ah, this comes up every 9 months or so here, on the SAACforum or on the Shelbyforum.
Last I saw was that it was the vin plate and title. And that was all.......

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
Well, it'll certainly be simple to check- The VIN pairs are known. If this "stripped shell" has the correct Ford VIN, that's it. Period. The widely published Shelby VIN won't help a faker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol....

I'm talking about Patricia Morrison's as any true Door's fan would know, so back at you. They were wed in front of a minister though the paperwork was never filed with anyone. She and Jim both acknowledged the marriage in the public. She rode in the lady many times and knows all to well about the wreck, call her if you wish. The Stone movie was a joke in its own right.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
jkupka said:
lol....

I'm talking about Patricia Morrison's as any true Door's fan would know, so back at you. They were wed in front of a minister though the paperwork was never filed with anyone. She and Jim both acknowledged the marriage in the public. She rode in the lady many times and knows all to well about the wreck, call her if you wish. The Stone movie was a joke in its own right.

Well we're getting a bit far-a-field here but what the heck... I'm sorry but no one with a serious interest in the factual history of Jim Morrison's life and the Doors would reference Patricia Kennealy as Jim Morrison's "wife". Pamela Courson was Jim's full time 'old lady'. He set her up in her clothing shop below the Doors management offices. He lived with her in L.A. between 69 and Spring '71 (I think they met in ~'65) and they moved together to Paris where they lived until Jim's death (sadly I believe she was complicit in Jim's death, possibly administering the heroin that killed him). While in L.A. in 1970, did Jim party, do drugs and sleep with ersatz journalist (read star f'er groupie) Kennealy? Yes. Her and a lot of others. I put more credibility in the people who were closest to Jim, the late Danny Sugarman and Ray Manzarek. In my opinion Patricia Kennealy is completely full of sh*t. Email Ray through his website and get his opinion on Patricia Kennealy and her claims.

p.s Morrison and Kennealy were not married before a minister for certain. IIRC, Kennealy claims they had a pagan ceremony in the desert while at an acid-fueled party.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyway, we are getting off base. I was only try and point out the car has been found according to MM. I look forward to the story.

PS: my Uncle was Admiral Morrison's liaison in the Navy. You should here the stories he has about rules on the ship regrading mentioning the Doors or Jim.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just throwing it out there...but If i owned a salvage business, and had a wrecked Shelby come in the door that a celebrity had crashed, I think i would tuck it away for possible future sale....so unless someone watched this car be crushed first hand, it would be possible for it to still be out there...I've seen stranger things...just my .02
Tom

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Renegade600 said:
Just throwing it out there...but If i owned a salvage business, and had a wrecked Shelby come in the door that a celebrity had crashed, I think i would tuck it away for possible future sale....so unless someone watched this car be crushed first hand, it would be possible for it to still be out there...I've seen stranger things...just my .02
Tom
As may be apparent from my detailed comments in this thread I have a interest in the history of Jim Morrison and Mustangs (obviously) and researched the story of Morrison's Shelby many years ago. FWIW I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that his GT500 was scrapped. Is there documented proof of the car being crushed? Of course not but there wouldn't be.

Wishful thinking perpetuates mythology and allows dishonest people with fraudulent intent to profit from the nostalgia of others.

Keep in mind that:

- the unibody was damaged in the telephone pole impact, considered a non-repairable condition at the time;

- Morrison (remarkably) walked away from the crash without a scratch, so this is not a ‘death car’ scenario where there would be particular notice of and interest in the crashed vehicle amongst the public.

- 1967 Shelbys were just used cars in 1970 with new 1969 and 1970 Shelbys sitting unsold on dealer lots.

- Morrison's Shelby was not subsequently insured and title was never transferred i.e. DMV records end with his period title.

- As mentioned above the Shelby VIN and corresponding Ford VIN for the car are well known and documented in the SAAC registry.

The actual paper title reg. document was sold at auction several years ago. Brianstrange states above that “Brett from Shelby Mustang owns an original reg. with the VIN.” I don’t know if he has the one that sold at auction but I'm only aware of the one original paper reg. doc that has ever surfaced (I inspected the title when it was up for auction and have a picture of it (unedited showing VIN unlike the image I linked to above). Also for clarification I presume (and hope) that by “with the VIN.” Brian means that “Brett” owns the paper title reg. document with the VIN showing on that document and not that “Brett” own the paper title reg. document and owns the VIN. That would be b.s. IMO. I would be extremely wary of any ‘Morrison Shelby’ being validated by Carroll Shelby or anyone affiliated Carroll Shelby Enterprises. Keep in mind that a few years ago Carroll Shelby attempted to register a number of newly built continuation 427 Cobras as 1967 vehicles claiming that the frames and VINs had been kicking around a warehouse. He got spanked for that.

I have no problem with anyone building a replica of Morrison’s Shelby, just don’t claim that it is the original car.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
As far as I know, There has been a quest to find that 1967 GT 500 somewhere in LA since it disappeared in 1970. The way the story goes is that Morrison crashed the car into a pole, Got out of the car and went across the street to a familiar bar that he usually frequented...When he finally stumbled out of the bar, The car trashed across the street was gone...towed...Never to be seen again...and so the 39 year story begins..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts