Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,021 Posts
Morrison's Shelby story will soon to sleep for a bit.
Don't worry, the story will reappear SOMEWHERE again in 8 or 9 months..... :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Well that is a pretty accurate account of what happened. Jim left the scene of the accident and went to the bar down the street. Pretty much his m.o. He'd done the same thing before crashing other cars. I doubt he even mentioned it to anyone at the bar. The car was towed by a tow truck called to the scene under contract with the City of L.A. to respond to such accidents. There is nothing mysterious or unusual about this. The identity of the specific tow truck driver and which yard the vehicle was towed to are lost to history (although there is a pretty clear identity of the towing contractors in place at the time). So its not as if Mr. Mojo cast a spell and poof the crashed car vanished.

Morrison's management learned of the crash and confronted Jim days later which was when he apparently declared "oh yeah" and "I'm never driving again" (per Danny Sugarman).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
BTW (from memory) I believe the car was a gift from Capital Records (Jim having told them exactly what he wanted).

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If it was found, what would the most valuable part of it's being?

1) The story

2) It's a Shelby

3)Owned by Jim

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Brianstrange said:
If it was found, what would the most valuable part of it's being?

1) The story #2

2) It's a Shelby #3

3)Owned by Jim #1

·
Registered
977 Posts
Good interesting OP. Looking forward to reading the story.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I was in Paris a few weeks back and visited Père Lachaise Cemetry, Morrison's plot seemed to be the most popular stopping point there.
Went there 4 yr ago, probably 10 or 12 others there at the time. Very cool cemetary to walk through. Just a short walk from the subway and I highly recommend it to anyone if they ever get in the area.

·
Registered
69 Fastback 351W .030 over, mild cam, C4
110 Posts
Interesting that this old thread just came back up. There’s a show on Motor Trend tv. Directv is channel 281. You can probably stream it. Show is called Autobiography. Last season they did a show on Morrison’s car. Going off memory from several months ago but A guy was looking for a Shelby to restore or maybe it was just a car in general. He hears about this Shelby that’s basically in pieces. Owner tells him something like “yeah, used to supposedly belong to some rock singer.” Guy buys the car, does the research on Morrison’s car, gets into the restoration and while he can’t prove and says as much, it damn sure appears to be the car. It’s apparently well known that Morrison frequently got drunk drove the car into a tree or power pole or whatever else. Would run to a pay phone and call police claiming it was stolen. They somehow know what parts of the car he had hit. When they stripped the car down there was obvious signs of major repairs having been done in the exact areas Morrison had damaged. Some other guy that had been searching for the car for years, and somehow owns the old registration papers on it calls the guy that’s restoring the car. Asks him “you bought vin …….?.” “Yeah.” “I’ll pay you ….. for it sight unseen.” Owner isn’t interested in selling, wants to finish the restoration. Guy with the paperwork refuses to tell him if it is in fact Morrison’s car. There were other things in the show that gave good indication that it is Morrison’s car but last I heard it still can’t be proven. But if you watch the show it’s just about got to be the car.

·
Dimples
6,508 Posts
Interesting that this old thread just came back up. There’s a show on Motor Trend tv. Directv is channel 281. You can probably stream it. Show is called Autobiography. Last season they did a show on Morrison’s car. Going off memory from several months ago but A guy was looking for a Shelby to restore or maybe it was just a car in general. He hears about this Shelby that’s basically in pieces. Owner tells him something like “yeah, used to supposedly belong to some rock singer.” Guy buys the car, does the research on Morrison’s car, gets into the restoration and while he can’t prove and says as much, it damn sure appears to be the car. It’s apparently well known that Morrison frequently got drunk drove the car into a tree or power pole or whatever else. Would run to a pay phone and call police claiming it was stolen. They somehow know what parts of the car he had hit. When they stripped the car down there was obvious signs of major repairs having been done in the exact areas Morrison had damaged. Some other guy that had been searching for the car for years, and somehow owns the old registration papers on it calls the guy that’s restoring the car. Asks him “you bought vin …….?.” “Yeah.” “I’ll pay you ….. for it sight unseen.” Owner isn’t interested in selling, wants to finish the restoration. Guy with the paperwork refuses to tell him if it is in fact Morrison’s car. There were other things in the show that gave good indication that it is Morrison’s car but last I heard it still can’t be proven. But if you watch the show it’s just about got to be the car.
I just watched it based on your description. Show was fine, few inaccuracies as far as not showing the right year of a car and one of the arguing nerds apparently thought the Doors keyboard player was named Raymond Zarek, but whatever.

The thing that confuses me is the apparently secret VIN that would confirm whether it’s the Blue Lady or not is being kept secret by… somebody? I dunno.

·
Registered
69 Fastback 351W .030 over, mild cam, C4
110 Posts
Blaketx-wish I could figure out how to do the quote thing on this sight. Anyway, like I said, I was going off memory from months ago. I wouldn’t have known if they got his keyboard players name wrong. I’m a big classic rock fan but never cared for The Doors music. I don’t understand the VIN thing either. I don’t understand how someone can own the paperwork on a car that they never owned.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dangerously wading in here...

If I’m understanding the vin question correctly, it’s not the Shelby vin that will prove the car, but rather the Ford vin. I just went through this ona ‘68 GT350 I was looking at. It turned out to be a rebody.

SAAC has all the paperwork from Shelby American, and can verify the Ford vin that is underneath the Shelby pop riveted vin tag. To maintain the integrity of the cars, they won’t tell you the Ford vin, you have to tell them what you have, and they will confirm if it’s a match, or it’s not.

This guy should already have been able to talk to SAAC and confirm his car. All he would have needed was the Ford vin of the car he is restoring. With the importance of this particular car, I’m almost certain the SAAC 68 registrar would fly out and look if they beleived it was a match.

So IMHO, something more is going on here than meets the eye.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts