Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, been "lurking" for two years, reading and learning a lot from this great site. This is by far, better than the other sites I checked.

I am starting to reassemble my 65 coupe now and would like to get an opinion as to which vender has the most accurate reproduction parts.

I ordered a few little things last week from NPD and even after selecting their premium part, they don't come close to matching OEM.

I visited a small local shop over the weekend that sells mostly Scott Drake. What's the general Opinion on Drake products? At least I can see them before I buy.

Thanks - Reed

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Repop parts are hit and miss - doesn't matter who you buy them from.

NPD seems to have the best quality parts generally speaking. However, for some parts you will have to go NOS or refurbished OEM to get a decent fit.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I agree totally, repops are very hit or miss. I picked up some front suspension snubbers and was kinda upset that they were stamped with Scott Drakes logo, WTF? Luckily the guy at DMP gave me 65/66 and not 67 and up so I had to take them back and the replacements didnt have them. I also picked up a set of floor pan drain covers and they were the cheapest looking crap I had seen. I'm thinking with the lack of decent fit and poor quality of most repop parts, its probably better to go buy an air compressor and a blast cabinet and refinish as much as you can, in the long run I think the quality, fit and finish would be a lot better. The only items I have found so far that have had very little issues have been weatherstripping and window felts.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Repo parts are hit and miss. The supplier makes little difference except in their
service, advice etc. Keep in mind a bottle of Exedrin is the same whether you
get it from Walgreen or Walmart! Also Drake parts
aren't necessarily made by Drake!
Buying the best repop from a supplier is merely the best they have...doen't mean
it's even good by OEM standards.
IMO part of the fun of restoring any old car is the challange. If there was a supplier
with all NOS parts at low cost, just look em up and buy em what's the accomplishment?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts