Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some might have recently read, I am new on this post. My teenage daughter recently bought a '65 coupe with a blown 302 as an upcoming daughter / father project. Initially we were going to fix this, fix that, etc, but we both have agreed that we need to first work on all the mechanical and electrical issues followed by cosmetics (interior/exterior).

As I mentally prepare to start on the beast, I'm trying to determine what mechanical and electrical upgrades should I do while things are apart and most importantly in what order? The following is what I'm considering to help support the daily driven enviroment the car will be involved with. I'd like your opinions if I have forgotten something critical or if we are wasting $$ on another.

The following mods which are not necessarily in correct order are based upon the installion of a new 289 or 302 crated engine whatever I can find the easiest. Again remember this is a budgeted daily driver. No hot rodding is planned (yeah right says the teenager, except in the high school parking lot after dad goes to sleep)

Dual MC cylinder power brakes with discs on front- Is going power that big of improvement if you have installed front discs? Is it really worth going discs on the back? What can I expect to spend on the rears addition? I can always come back later and add the rears after we address the cosmetics.

Power Steering - Can the original steering box be used and just add power to it?

Front suspension beefed up to a V8 - Still has original 6 cyl setup (argh). I'll need lots of ideas on this one. Want to tighten up the front as best as possible.

Has a supposedly recent rebuit C4 tranny - Thinking while the engine is out of the car maybe I should take the tranny in to be looked at. I assume we should keep a C4 in this vehicle?

The rear end has already been swapped to 8" 5 lug, not knowing what size gears are back there. Had no plans to change anything unless I'm overlooking something obvious.

No A/C is being put in since we live in the cool SF bay area.

All for now. Any comments some of you might generate would be greatly appreciated.

Since I'm a newbie on Mustangs I feel I'm mooching lots of information from everyone without contributing back. I hope this will change in the near future allowing me to finally start to donate what I learn during the next few months.

Here's some shots of how my daughter and I spent father's day
buying her new toy. Some of you Concord, CA people might have seen this car terrorizing your streets before.....

http://community.webshots.com/album/154866612wBdXJN

Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Sounds like you have a very good plan. You will hear pro`s and con`s on most of your topics.
I went w/ 4 whl PDB for 2 reasons. 1, because I found a complete Versailles setup for a great deal and I needed a heavier axle for a V8 conversion. 2, because SWMBO and the kids would be doing most of the driving in this (her) car. The power brake option can be had pretty inexpensively if you use Mustang Steves conversion. If you haven`t been to his site it`s worth a visit.
I would think you could re-use your steering box, I put in PS and really like it, some guys hate it and take it out. you might be able to get a deal on a setup that way. There`s a guy on this site who does a nice job rebuilding control valves.
DO the Shelby drop if it hasn`t been done already, you could box in your control arms, bigger sway bar, rear sway bar...

·
Registered
409 Posts
For sure go with the dual M/C and front disc brakes, the rear can be added later.
Shoulder belt and seats with more back and neck support are another area for improvement.

Don

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Use the dual master cylinder, having that second separate circuit is great insurance. As a lower cost alternative in the rear, you can replace the 10 x 13/4 brakes with 10 x 21/2. Most if not all the parts are available in the local bone yard, it is easy to install.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Front Discs
Dual master cylinder
upgrade the suspension for v8 - (5 lugs)
rebuild the suspension
base 302 crate moter and a small 4v carb
paint / interior

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Good project!
After the mechanicals are done and upgraded, Being the father of a teenage daughter myself, I would go with the safety upgrades, seat belts, headrests, brakes etc. Some are concerned with the fuel tank issues that have popped up. If that's you, maybe a steel divider between the back seat and trunk would be something to consider. I would also upgrade the handling ( shelby drop was mentioned) perhaps some subframe connectors and "monte carlo" bars, good shocks.
Have fun. Hopefully she'll do the bulk of the work herself!

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
I would add a set of Pertronix breakerless points so you're not changing points all the time. Best $50 I ever spent on my car.
Dave

K

·
0 Posts
Oh I'm not going to show my teenage son this post. :D :D :D

All have replied with good suggestions the only thing I could add is about the driver. I'm sure you have discussed this many times with your daughter. She needs to understand that these are old cars. They don't have the same engineering/safety of cars today even with upgrades we like to install. She looks like a very happy girl with her new car and working on it with dad will certainly make her appreciate even more.

Have fun. ::

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
i don't think id go with the rear disc's unless you go with the Lincoln Mk VII Rear Disc Conversion or something like it. I think a rear disc kits usually run around 600-700, just check out summit or any mustang parts house. have fun

·
Registered
742 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track...Make it safe, then reliable, and at last pretty!!

1.Do the V8 front powerdisk brakes and suspension at the same time. (You would need to change to V8 mustang spindles or 75-80 Granada Spindles depending what Disk Brake System you go with.)

2.While Power steering is nice (really power assist) you can save yourself alot of hassle and expense by just going manual steering. Remember manual steering doesn't leak!!! Since you are on a budget this money can be better spent elseware in my opinion.

3. The rear drum 8" brakes in good condition and well adjusted work just fine (since most of the braking is performed in the front anyway)

4. Get the 302 rebuilt by a good machine shop(check with local mustang clubs in your area for referal) Have them check the bore size .030 is preferable but no more than.040 and also magna flux it to check for cracks. I would just go with the edlebrock performer package(Matched Cam, Intake, and 1406 carb) Like the other poster above said get the pentrox electronic ignition for $50 to replace those points.

5. See If you can find a few VMFers in your area...They just might be able to point you in the right direction as to parts...etc.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I just opened the pics...Nice car!!! Also could you fill in the bio with a few more details on the car looks like from reading that this used to be a six clyinder car and that would be helpful info when answering questions...thanks!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts