Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi doug2stanger here

i have never had a set of tires on my 68 stang get over
thirty thousand miles. whats the record?

douglas rhine of nebraska
the man with the sad dog face

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I heard those were good tires, well worth the money!

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp, 17x8 TTII's, ect...
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
My '67 vert gets about 6,000 miles on the rears (4,500 on the '68 and 1,500 on the '67). Don't know about the fronts yet... I hope your 30,000 miles is a good estimate. Tire rot may set in before it gets there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how many miles it was on the road - but the spare in my trunk is original. Like - a 1973 original bias ply tire. The tires on it when I bought it in 97 were all bias ply, they'd been on the car for over 15 years (the car only did about 20k in that time). Talk about a fearful ride.

The least number of miles I ever got on a set of tires was on the same car - a 73 Mustang ... when I replaced the bias plys and got an alignment, I got 4000 miles before TWO layers of wire were showing on the outsides. (And I was 1000 miles from home when the first layer showed).

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I may not get the most out of tires, but I bet I wear them out faster than anybody. I'm talking about normal driving around town. Mine last about 5 months before I wear them out completely, and that's on 40k mile tires! Of course that's on my work van.

On the stang, I replaced the tires 3 years ago and I'll more than likely have to replace them because of age before I have to replace them for wearing out. *LOL

Doug Whisenant

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Age, yeah it seems like I have to replace a lot of tires due to the fact they're all pushing the 10 year mark. Heck, when I bought the '78 Friggin Futura the spare was a GR-78! I happen to have a set of tires I don't need that are at least 6 years old with almost brand new treads. They're on my project 'Stang that I bought in '95 and haven't driven since (tires came with the car and looked fairly new).

Too many dead cars...

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I currently have 37, 000 on mine, they are suppose to last to 60,000. They have out last 2 other stangs.

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mine only have 1800 miles on them, but they're about 37 year old bias plys!

Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Hey Dean T, your story of your 6 year old "New" tires reminds me that I have some "Brand New Old Tires" as well.

I bought brand new tires for my 55 Nash Metro Conv. back in 1985. I had started the restoration then and was getting ready to put the motor in, so I went and had the rims powder coated and brand new whitewall tires put on. This was in 1985 and these tires have maybe 5 miles on them. I guess I'll have to use them as shop tires now! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Doug Whisenant

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>

·
Registered
391 Posts
Steve,

I have seen those tires and can vouch for you. I also know you like to keep the speed down on the freeway with them.

Russ

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks Steve, that message to you made me an official "Tire Kicker"... Whew, think I'll have a beer and celebrate tonight.

Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts