Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promised SWMBO last fall when I started the rebuild of Dees67 that I would have it
done by Mother's Day. What the hell was I thinking???? It's all coming together
but it's gonna be tight:

Done already:
Engine bay is detailed Canadian Mustang's Big Kit is on the front end,
rebuilt: (steering box, PS control valve, front brakes, heater box), brake lines
replaced, brake booster ready to install, export brace installed, main engine
harness retaped, '68 column installed with Flaming River U-joint

Still need to:
1) rebuild rear brakes, install new leaf springs & shocks, replace rear wheel bearings,
replace rear brake lines, install heater box and new cables,

2) building up the bottom end of the 289 this weekend with the new Keith Black flattops
and the Isky Mega 264 cam.

3) heads are in CA at PowerHeads and should be finished by them in 7-10 days. Another
week to ship them back to me. That puts them back in my hands no later than the first weekend
of May.

That leaves me one week and two weekends to:

install the heads, along with the rockers and pushrods.
install the intake (Performer) and carb (Edelbrock 600cfm, vac adv, elec choke)
install the TCI torque converter and trans cooler
bolt the tranny to the motor and install in the car
reinstall all the accessories
wire everything up
check, doublecheck, triplecheck, kneel down and pray, then turn the key!

I'm thinking that would be a good week to burn a week of vacation time, no?

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT Project car - For Sale
Milford, NH

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Been there, done that. Let's see, you only need about 4 hours of sleep per night. So, after you say good night to SWMBO, head out to the garage and you get another 4 hours of wrenching!

Good luck.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Y'know, it's not the work I know about that scares me. It's the unexpected problems
that are bound to crop up that will bollux the schedule. I'm trying to stack the deck in
my favor by making a checklist of all the little gotchas I've read about here on the Forum,
so I can refer to it as I go along. I'm also making a punchlist of all the things I know I need
to do as I think of them. That might help me avoid too many doofi (plural of doofus?).

Rich
Milford, NH

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Excellent idea. Checklists are great. Just remember to keep it updated and review it regularly. It will grow. I remember when I made one back in January. I listed everything (large and small) and then figured out how many days till the Knott's show. I discovered that I had to complete 4 items per night to make it (and that was without surprise findings!). I also prioritized the tasks, in an order that would:
1) expose surprise elements sooner (if that item covered, relied on something else) and
2) get the car back on the road, so I could drive it and blow off some steam and also expose any condition that would not be exposed without driving the car.

Good luck.

It really helped me in getting the work done.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree, the check list is invaluable! The only flaw in making the list is if you missed something when making the list and then later rely so heavily upon it that you can't figure out what you forgot. For me, It was tightening the starter cable to the top of the starter. Also, don't try to reattach the ignition wires at 1 am on a week night. When I fired the car up, it ran like an out of tune six cylinder...which it was of course! I has switched wires 3 & 4 at the plugs!!! Turned em' around and VROOOOMMMM!!!!! Make a list, and check it twice friend.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
But did you tell her the specific year for Mother's Day?

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can only use that dodge three or four times before the cast iron frying pan comes
out and she starts swingin' for the fences.

I'm still paying for Christmas '98 when I got so busy at work I forgot to get her any
Christmas presents! I realized this at about 1:00 AM Christmas morning. I did the only
thing I could do - I ordering a bunch of stuff online and printed out pictures of it all for her
stocking. I still have scars from that doofus stunt.

Rich
Milford, NH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts